Unicorn and Magic

"Shiloh look!" Skylar called out into the playroom they had given to her. Toys were starting to become a little excessive, between Brian and his family constantly buying her things so the back room that led to the yard was now Shiloh's area. She insisted they stop buying her so much stuff but no one seemed to be listening.

The little girl peaked her head into the kitchen and saw Skylar holding up an envelope, "You got invited to a birthday party!" Skylar smiled.

"Really?" Shiloh answered, "Why?"

Skylar let out a laugh, "What do you mean why silly? One of your friends at school wants you to celebrate her birthday with her." Skylar quickly made her way over to the calendar to make sure her schedule was free to take her. Seems like Brian was on the road that weekend but she was home.

The little girl was excited but very surprised. She had never been to a birthday party before. "What do you do at birthday parties?" She asked looking up to Skylar.

She was a bit taken back by the question, "Well you play with your friends and family, eat cake, people bring presents, they sing happy birthday to you. It's a lot of fun." She answered and began to smile thinking back to all her birthday parties. Her mom would always go all out and make sure she had the best parties. It then dawned on her that perhaps Shiloh never had a party of her own. The little girl's birthday was coming up in just a few short weeks. Brian and her had just planned on taking the day and letting Shiloh pick what she wanted to do but now Skylar had another idea. As Shiloh skipped back into the playroom to check if her pretend cookies were done inside her doll house Skylar called the one person she knew would be just as excited to throw a birthday party.

"Hey Carol!" She greeted when the older woman picked up the phone. "Can I ask for your help with something?
_______________________________
Joe saw Q's expression across the lawn and burst out laughing. "It's best to stay out of the way and let them work." Joe called out as he joined his friend over by the grill. Currently his mom,Bessy, and Skylar were all running around setting up decorations. It was a unicorn theme, Shiloh's favorite thing in the world, and it looked like a magically rainbow land, even down to the lawn being spray painted 6 different colors. A bouncy house had been delivered at 8am and Skylar also hired a company that did face painting and balloon animals.

"Babe!" Skylar called out. "We need another extension cord for the cotton candy machine."

"Cotton candy?" Brian questioned, "Jesus Skylar this is insane." Never in his life did he see a birthday party so elaborate.

"Brian! Extension cord, now!" His mother ordered.

"Yeah yeah I'm going." He grumbled as he got up and headed towards the shed at the back of the yard.

Skylar laughed as she saw how quickly Brian moved when his mom said something. 43 years old and he still jumped when his mom told him to. She was so relieved she was here to help.

"Don't you think this is all little much?" Brian said as he approached the ladies with the orange cord.

"Baby you didn't see the look on her face when she went to the party a couple weeks ago. It was like she had never seen anything like it. 6 years old and she's never had a birthday party." Skylar explained.

"I get it." He sighed. The thought of Shiloh being so under privileged because of choices that were made for her made him sick to his stomach if he thought about it long enough. He then kissed his girl then his mom on the cheeks, "She's gonna have a really good day today." He smiled. "I'm gonna start bringing out the burgers and sausages."

Any doubts that were circling in Brian Quinn's mind about such an over the top party melted away the second he saw Shiloh's face. She had been with Brian's younger brother and sister in law while everything was being set up. When the guest of honor arrived she was amazed. "Is this all for me?!" She cried out when she saw the colorful decorations, balloons, and blow up unicorns all over the backyard. She was so excited to see all the people she had grown to love in one place. Brian's parents and brothers along with all their kids, Joe and Bessy with their kids, members of the IJ crew, Bryan Johnson with his girlfriend and daughter, Sal and his nieces, Murray with his nieces and nephews, Melrose with her goddaughter, and even some of the kids from Shiloh's class. It was a packed house and full of people that loved her.