Taking the Chance

"Sorry." Brian apologized as he walked back into the program director's office. "Work call I couldn't miss."

Joan the program director got a look of concern on her face. "This is the concern that I brought up to Krystal and the other case workers when reviewing placement for Shiloh. With all due respect Mr. Quinn, I know who you are and I know how busy you must be. So I'm going to ask you myself, do you really think you can take this on?"

Brian was a bit taken aback and honestly down right insulted, "I wouldn't be here if I didn't care and didn't feel like Skylar and I couldn't handle this. She has completely changed her job so it would be possible for us to have Shiloh live with us. So with all due respect I know we can take this on."

"She's a difficult child." Joan interrupted.

Brian rolled his eyes and started to bounce his leg on top of the other, a habit he had when he was getting aggravated. "Thats all we keep hearing is how difficult she is. So quite honestly if she's that damn difficult I would think you would be happy to pass her off to someone else." He snapped.

Skylar reached over under the desk and squeezed her man's hand reminding him to keep his cool. However inside she couldn't be prouder. Any doubt that she still had about Brian being ready for this was gone the second she saw how upset he was getting.

"Alright if you truly feel you are up to the challenge, let's continue." Joan responded in a standoffish tone. She truly didn't believe this was going to work but the board was in agreement to try. Sliding over a packet of even more paperwork she began to explain the process, "So a total of $300 will be deposited into the bank account you have provided every month on the first. This is what it cost to care for each of the children so that is what you are expected to spend. Anything extra is considered your responsibility."

Skylar and Brian exchanged looks, the fact that the state expected a child to survive on $75 a week was laughable.

"We will try this for a 90 day period and then you are expected to return here for an update hearing. At that point we will get a status and go from there. She will need to return to New Jersey for doctors appointments considering she has a state insurance that isn't accepted in New York. I assume you have also set up schooling for her already?" Joan asked.

"Yes, she'll be starting on Wednesday." Skylar answered.

"Good, we will need weekly reports from them as well. You can fax those over to me." Joan said. "I'll go grab Krystal and Shiloh."

Once Joan left the room, Brian and Skylar Both let out long sighs. "Whatta bitch." Brian said.

"I'm not a fan of her either but we need to play nice with her. She is the runner of the program." Skylar responded.

"Shiloh is basically a pain in the ass to her. She needs more help than a crappy doctor in New Jersey is going to give a couple times a month." Brian said.

"We got this right?" Skylar asked taking his hand.

"We're gonna give it our best shot." He sighed trying to relieve some nerves. The last meeting they had with Krystal she explained in great detail what Shiloh could behave like. Nights were the most difficult, if she had a nightmare which happened often, she could wake up crying, hyperventilating, or angry. The severity of the nightmare varied and sometimes it could take hours to calm her down. They were told to expect bed wetting on the regular as well. She was fearful of new people, especially men, and had a hard time connecting with other children. Shiloh was very smart but due to missing school a lot she was very behind for her age level. Realistically she should be in the 1st grade but was still in kindergarten and struggled a lot.