Chapter 13: Fall

Tamara’s POV

I woke up with a cold sweat again this morning, the first time for a few nights now. Just when I had grown used to the calm that came with sleeping right through the night without a ‘hitch’, my imagination, or should I say my memory, never failed to bring me back to reality. It was like when I was free of the nightmares, I was just imagining some sort of fantasy world where I could be happy. Sometimes I thought that Jai brought that part of me out of hiding, as the horror free nights always seem to be associated with his presence.

But I soon realised why it had happened today. My body suddenly became sluggish and limp. In some respects, it had felt like it had happened yesterday, but at the same time the process felt like it had been dragging out for eternity. Yet, these mixed feelings on my perception of the amount of time that had passed did not change the fact that it had been exactly one year. Three hundred and sixty five days since I had seen my mother and father, living and breathing. I blinked away tears that had begun to form, deciding that the time for tears was long gone. Too many of those had been shed already. And anyway, today was supposed to be a day of celebration; I was turning 18 after all.

I head to the bathroom to wash my face after reluctantly dragging myself out of bed. I looked at my reflection and realised how much I’d changed since it had happened. I noticed the creases that had permanently formed on my forehead. I noticed all the blemishes on my face that I had to cover every morning with concealer. I noticed the lack of spirit in my eyes. I remember back to the times when I was a young, fresh teenager that loved to party and socialise. Coupled with these so-called happy times in my life is the fact that that was the reason I was in this mess now, so I bury that side of myself and forget about it. There was no way I was even going to consider bringing that girl out of hiding; not after what happened last time.

I head back to my room, just in time to hear my phone buzz with a text.

 From Jai’s sexy ass :P –

Okay, so I know probably woke you up because of this text but I’m heading over rn to give you your present bc I can’t wait another minute to give it to you :)  xx

To Jai’s sexy ass :P –

Okay gorgeous, see you soon <3

I change into some black high-waisted shorts, a loose white shirt and my black vans. I leave my hair down and chuck on my Obey snapback as I head downstairs to grab some breakfast. Halfway down, I smell wafts of bacon and golden toast and rush down to see what Karen’s prepared.

“Happy Birthday honey,” she said, with a smile, “how’re you going this morning darling?”

“I’m getting there. Jai’s on his way over; apparently he couldn’t wait til he’s over here with the boys tonight to give me my present,” I say as she places a plate filled with bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and sausages piled high, “this all looks beautiful. Thank you Aunt Karen.”

“No worries hun. And here you go,” she says as she places a small gift box next to my breakfast plate, “it’s only small but it’s your 18th so I had to get you something.”

I open the card first, and have tears welling in my eyes after the first sentence.

To My Dearest Tamara,

I am not going to pretend I know what you are going through today but I want you to know that I am here for you. I know it’s going to be hard, but you deserve all the happiness in the world after the year you’ve had, so all I wish for you on this day is for you to be able to enjoy yourself with your new friends. I hope you have a beautiful day, filled with unforgettable, happy memories. Happy 18th Birthday beautiful, may all your dreams come true,