chapter one🌸

Soundtrack: On the low. Burna boy.

Oh My Allah! The class was so stuffy, there was an electric power cut so the AC isn't on and I have no idea why they haven't turned on the generator.

I finished my exam ages ago and I am so bored (physics paper was a sad story) and the invigilator isn't helping matters. One grumpy looking lady haka. Allah will see us through insha Allah.

I glance around the room to the back where Nanah sat with her chin propped on her hand rolling her eyes and hissing nonstop. I laughed inwardly and turned back and we clocked eyes with Hafsah(my other friend) she asked me with her eyes if I was through and I nodded my head, yes, almost every one had finished.

I checked my side for Ladeefah(another friend) and I spotted her exchanging lovey- dovey looks with Omar, her boyfriend. I stuck out my tongue and rolled my eyes at them, Omar smirked and ladeefah blushed. I just shook my head and turned back to continue scribbling and doodling on my question paper while waiting for the bell to ring.

Finally they rang the bell to signal the end of the exam after what seemed like forever. The invigilator asked us to submit our answer sheets and go out in a single file. We all submitted our papers and got our bags from the bag rack in front of the class room.

We met up outside the classroom, by the corridor and exchanged pleasantries and complaints on how they hadn't taught us some things and how some questions were so cheap while comparing our answers, you know, the typical after paper routine.

We waited for the rest of the squad(Maryam, Sayyed and Ali) to come out of their exam class. They were writing literature.

They came out after some minutes and we all headed to the parking lot, some waiting for their drivers or parents  to show up, some go and get cabs, while some trek home.

Sayyed and Haydar were the first to go, then Hafsa,Ladeefah and Omar went together. We waited for over 30 minutes and Maami hadn't come to pick me up making me wonder why because she was jever late.

Nanah's mum came and they offered me a ride home, to which I agreed happily.

We got into the grey BMW x5 Nana sat in the front passengers seat, me back seat and Nana immediately turned the radio on and mama glared at her playfully to which nanah shrugged at.

We both greeted Nanah's Mum and she answered and asked us how the exam went.We replied her in unison "it was awesome" which was far from the truth.

Wee made little chitchat on school, exams, life after school, etc. Listening to Burna Boy's 'on the low' which is coming from the cars radio.

She maked the turn to our estate and we saw cars, koads of them like you know the scenario when an event is taking place? you get it right? yh, that was the look.

"Toh...biki ake yi a anguwan naku? (Ohh...is a wedding taking place at your estate? )" Mama asked and I shrugged in reply.

"Wallahi Mama nima ban sani ba gaskiya" (I swear mama I also don't know).

"Toh we shall find out " Mama said and parked her car in the first space she got, We all hopped out and the source of the gathering seemed to be...

my house?!?!

The first thing that came to my mind was, someone is dead. Because the last time we had such a gathering was when my Paternal aunt died.

And last time I checked, no one was getting married. Hell! I was the only unmarried person in the house and
No naming ceremony was to be held becausese Adda Hafsy was the only pregnant person and she wasn't due until in like 5 months time? I didn't know. So that left us only with death.