Chapter 1

The night was grueling. Sitting there listening to the constant hero talk was getting to me.

Do these people even have real lives?

It was like they lived in the constant illusion that their power was all they were. If their existence only mattered as long as their powers could show.

While their kids were 'strutting their stuff' in front of the 'audience' I went to the kitchen to grab some water and possibly a cookie from the fridge.

My grandfather came in and saw me eating the cookie and laughed.

"What?!!!" I asked. "It seems we're more alike than you and your old man," he said laughing deeply.

I laughed with him. He grabbed the box of cookies from the fridge and motioned me to follow him.

We went out into the backyard and sat on the grass looking up at the sky. There was silence between us.

He looked at me in silence for a few minutes. "I have something to tell you, Nate" I look at him. "Yes?"

He takes a deep breath. "You are a very brave and smart individual. And I really don't know how to say this"

I am intrigued and I look at him. "Yes, grandpa"

"I....." he stops. " I'm going away for a month or two" I looked at him, shocked.

"What?! Why?!" I ask not pleased. My grandfather was the only person I could talk to and relax with.

"I'm going to visit a few of my old buddies. But I promise, when I return, I'll have a super powerful surprise for ya."

I hugged him tightly. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too bud. But I'll be back before you know it."

We once again sat staring at the stars, eating cookies. I still felt like there was something he wanted to say, but he didn't say anything and I didn't ask.

We went back inside and it appeared as if no one missed us as the show was still in progress.

Suddenly, the lights were taken off. The girl got in front of the chairs and what started as a faint outline turned into a bright, exasperatingly bright light that could have killed a blind man.

When she had finished, her face glowed as the lights came back on and everyone clapped.

She had improved.

She looked in my direction and smirked. "Why don't you show us your powers, Nathaniel," she said in an innocent voice, but with malicious intentions.

The other kids jeered and clapped which led to all the adults except my parents clapping and encouraging the idea.

My dad spoke up. "Nate hasn't exactly figured out what his powers are, yet. A late bloomer I suppose."

The yet was almost so soft that I nearly missed it.

One of the others turned to him. "But both of your genes have powers. They run generations back into your bloodline Manny. The odds are nearly impossible for him not to have. If he hasn't gotten any-"

"Stop," my father said

"-by now then I don't think-"

"Stop talking," he said again. The anger seething.

"-he may get powers. He might-"

"Shut up," he raged

"-not get any at all" the person finished.

My father was now livid. You could see the rage on his face. If you sat close enough you could probably feel the heat rising.

"Kids, can you excuse us," my mom said calmly and shuffled us downstairs into the basement where the games room was.

I sat at the bar drinking soda and messaging my friends on my phone, while the other kids were using the PlayStation 3, Xbox One and the various arcade boxes around the room.

They were all around my age. I'm 15, so the age bracket was 14 to 17. We all attended Victory Heights High School. 

Everyone here was all basically friends, well except me. I was the outcast due to my lack of extraordinary abilities.

But I have my friends. Who I consider being ten times better than this lot. These guys tend to think they're better than everyone else.

Although they are, my grandfather told me that just because you are a little more gifted than someone else, there is no reason to treat them differently.

I could have nicknamed my grandfather 'Uncle Ben'. Since he watched Spider-Man that one time, he's been saying one thing over and over again.

"With great power comes great responsibility"

I would have liked to agree with him but, I had no power. Over time I began to see what he was saying. You don't need powers to do what was right.

 You don't need powers to do what was right

***
A/N

What do you guys think about Nate? Is he right? What about Grandpa?

Really appreciated if you left a comment or a vote or both :P

***