Chapter 7

It was midnight. The room was exasperatingly hot. It was unbearable. I raised out of my sheets. The lights were off.

I dropped to the ground and groped the walls in the dark until I found the switch.

I flicked it on and ran over to the windows, opening them all the way.

Trying to let the cool breeze emanate throughout the humid room.

It was as I was going to turn off the light, that I realized the mess was gone. Clean. Not a splinter.

I flicked off the light. I couldn't think about that now. I had to cool down. I jumped back into bed and pushed off all my blankets from the bed to the ground.

Fifteen minutes passed.

Thirty minutes passed.

The room was still boiling hot. It was unbearable. I jumped off the bed and flicked on the light.

I dashed to the window and jumped out on the roof of the verandah and from there to the ground.

Landing on my feet, I ripped off all my clothes and ran down the dock and jumped into the lake where it was  deep.

Trying to cover my entire body.

I see steam rising around me and noticed that all the lights of the house were still on. I felt much cooler but still hot.

"What's happening to me" I thought.

A crawled out of the water onto the beach. The heat was unbearable.

A door opened. "Nate!"

He ran down to the beach and grabbed me up in his arms and carried me back into the house into the bathroom.

All I felt was cold water streaming down my body.

I shivered uncontrollably.

I couldn't take it anymore.

Darkness began enveloping my vision, I didn't fight it and it come closer and closer until it was all I could see.

When I woke up, I was in bed. I was cool. Not burning. Not hot. Cool. I was in dry clothes, with new sheets, blankets and pillows.

My grandfather came in with a tray about fifteen minutes later.

"How are you feeling?"

"Much better. Thanks"

He set the tray on the table and helped me sit up. Then placed it on top of me.

The soup smelled delicious.

"I'll be downstairs if you need anything"

"No. Stay. Please."

He looked at me and nodded. He closed the door and sat on the bed .

"Listen, grandpa. I'm sorry for my behavior yesterday. It was uncalled for. I..."

"Was confused, angry, afraid, unsure"

"Yes... How do you know?"

"When I was a kid, I mistakenly took my own power and put it in a jar. It was only a while after, I broke the jar that contained my power and when I got it back, I was just like that.

I eventually learned to control it"

"You took your own power" I chuckled.

"Yeah, it sounds stupid, but it's true," he said smiling.

"I know I'm a few hours late, but may I ask why you took my power? The real reason"

He looked at me. "I guess you deserve to know," he said, passing his hand over his head.