Bad Blood

My mouth hung open as I looked at the man before me, just now realizing the features that he, Dad, Grandpa and I shared.

He's a Masters.

The uncle, Terrance, I never knew I had until a few days ago seeing the handprints on Grandpa's wall.

"Emmanuel Masters" mom looked at him sternly.

Dad broke his cold, locked stare from his brother's eyes and immediately softened in Mom's eyes.

"Let's go inside. It's early and cold and there are children here" nodding in my direction.

He looked over at me and then around him. It looked like he forgot where he was for a moment.

"Yes dear" he replied softly, dropping his head.

Grandpa rummaged through his pockets for his keys and once he produced it, went up the verandah and opened the door.

We all ushered ourselves inside.

Grandpa was quickly in the kitchen, lighting the stove to make breakfast.

Dad lit the fireplace in the living room and my uncle and his family settled themselves on the couches that surrounded it.

My parents were in the kitchen. Mom was helping Grandpa, while dad was leaning against the fridge, stroking his beard.

Interesting.

I've never seen him with more than a mustache, but being out in the wilderness for a few days really had an impact.

He now had stubble growing on his face.

I'm sure he'll shave it off as soon as he showers though.

Speaking of showers.

I headed upstairs to my room. It's been quite a few days since I've had an actual shower.

I mean, bathing at a pond is fun and all, but it doesn't beat a shower, but they both can't beat the tub in my parents' master bath.

When I was younger, that was most of my day.

Two, sometimes three baths, with my toys.

I chuckled as memories flooded my thoughts.

As I stepped through the door and glanced at the mirror, I remembered what happened a few days before when I saw my astral form.

I chuckled thinking back to what had occurred.

Then a thought hit me.

I locked the bathroom door and faced the mirror.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and waited a few seconds.

When I reopened my eyes, my heart fluttered with joy from the sight of the bright blue glow emanating from my body.

"Still works" I said to myself, smiling broadly at my reflection.

"It still works!" I declared loudly and punched the air.

"What works?" a voice asked behind me.

I swung around in fright, wide-eyed with my jaw dropped.

"The...the... uh... I locked the door. How did you..."

"Oh. I'm sorry. My mom sent me to brush my teeth and Granddad said to go up the stairs and into the second door on the left.

I found the bathroom door locked so I slid through.

If I knew you were in here I wouldn't have...."

"It's okay, uh..." I smiled weakly.

"Oh yeah. Sorry. I'm Devin. Devin Masters."

"Nice to meet you Devin. I'm Nathaniel"

"Nice to meet you too.

So what's working?"

Shit. He heard that. Uhhhh...

"Oh. Yeah, it's a new natural oil I'm trying. Helps with beard growth and stuff. You know."

Christ I sound lame.

He chuckled. "So it's working?"

"Uh, I believe I saw a strand or two. So I guess."

"Well, cheers. So... I'll wait downstairs till you're done."

"Yeah..."

And I watched balefully as he walked back through the door.

Which I must mention was closed, and locked.

I double checked for the sake of it.

I took a shower in my underwear just in case he decided to sneak a peak.

Which I knew he wouldn't, but just for good measure.

It seemed like the most safe choice at the time.

When I exited the bathroom, he was no where to be seen, which was a relief.

I changed and headed downstairs into the kitchen, where everyone was.

Well, almost everyone.

Dad was absent.

I nodded at him and he excused himself.

"Breakfast is served" Grandpa announced moments later as he distributed plates on the kitchen table.

Not five seconds later, Devin re-appeared.

"Did I hear breakfast"

And everyone in the room laughed but the air felt fragile in the room and at any moment anything could happen.

However, everyone sat quietly eating and I was comforted in the fact that we could participate in family activities, at least for the while, without going at each others' throats.

Suddenly, I had an idea. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

I opened my eyes for my attention to instantly grasped by someone whose flame was as turbulent as the sea.

Red and blue, fighting against each other, the orange intermittently presenting itself, just to suddenly cease to exist.

The person next to them was without a flame. Just a grey frame, eating. I'm guessing that it was my aunt.

Someone cleared their throat. I blinked and it was gone.

"Nate, are you okay?"

It was then I realized that I had it all wrong.

"Uh.. yeah, Grandpa"

"You know it's not nice to stare" mom chided.

"Yes, mom. I'm sorry. I was just admiring my aunt. She is very beautiful and this is the first time I've seen her."

My aunt's cheeks reddened.

"Why, thank you" she said in a sweet voice.

I just smiled.

Grandpa didn't mention that my aunt had powers as well. I mean, he would know because his power made him know this kind of stuff.

Then again, no one mentioned that I had an aunt, even more so, a cousin.

Agh.

What a vacation this is turning out to be.

*** A/N ***

Hey guys. Hope you all are doing well. Hope you enjoy!

***