05

"I wish I could make the time stop"

Kaycee was nervous. She hadn't even had her breakfast yet but her stomach was already bubbling with nervousness. She had locked the bathroom door, she was staring at herself in the mirror as she tried to build some courage to call Tessandra because well, she was about to call one of her idols and that wasn't a regular thing someone was able to do, so yeah, she was pretty nervous about it.

She shook her head and took a deep breath before finally dialing the number she's been holding on to as if it was water in the desert. After four rings the woman answered and Kaycee thought she could faint.

"Hello? Tessandra speaking, who's this?" The woman's voice was gentle which kind of helped Kaycee in the process of keeping herself calm.

"Uh-uhm Hi! It's Kaycee, Kaycee Rice." She said stuttering.

"Oh good you called me, I was really hoping you would! How you're doing sweetheart?" The woman asked and sounded genuinely happy to be talking to her, so Kaycee felt better.

"I did great, thanks for asking. How about you?" Kaycee asked being polite.

"I'm too, better now that you called. So I don't know what Jojo said to you but I was kind of hoping we could do a thing together. Are you free for lunch today? We could eat something and I can talk you through my ideas and then you can tell me if you're up for it." Kaycee found it a bit weird that she wanted to talk in person about the ideas as if there was any chance of Kaycee saying no to work with her.

"lunch sounds great." The girl answered.

"Okay pick the place and send me the address, okay sweetheart?" She said and Kaycee just hummed a yes. "I got to go now, but I'll see you at lunch. Bye, Kaycee."

"See ya, bye." She answered and then the phone call was over.

She chose a restaurant that she knew and liked very much. They combined to meet around 1 pm and Kaycee got there more than an hour earlier because she was too excited to wait at home.

When she saw Tessandra walking in and waving to her she felt like fainting again because it was really happening, one of her idols was about to have lunch with her.

They said their hellos to each other and ordered their food. By the time the food was on the table Kaycee was starting to feel way more comfortable with Tessandra and the talk was coming in a very natural way.

"Well, Kaycee talking business now, I've got my eye on you for a while now and I've been crazy to use you on something but I've never seen to find the right project because I was never doing anything for a solo, only groups, and duos." The woman explained and Kaycee smiled bigger than she ever did.

"It's an honor for me to hear that." She said, honestly.

"How sweet of you," Tessandra said smiling too. "So, this project it's a very strong piece with a very precise storyline and I noticed that you are a great storyteller so I figured that it would be perfect for you to be in it. It's a duet and I really wanted something that would be precise with technique but also wanted something that would feel raw and electric. You know what I mean?"

Kaycee just nodded and the woman kept going. "That was when I saw your duet for Jojo's class with Sean Lew..." The girl took a deep breath because she understood what was about to happen. "I know he's not your regular partner and that's why I wanted to talk with you in person about this because I know how our dance world works and I know that partnerships are a delicate subject in our culture... But I would really like to have you and Sean in this project, you two are very ahead of the kids your age with technique and individually you are both amazing already, very good storytellers. And when I watched the video, I saw in you two something that I haven't seen in a partnership in such a long time, this unique way of connection in which it feels like you are one when dancing."