Chapter 17 - Old Nicky (And The Ball)

The morning after everyone who had went home for the holidays came back, there was a large notice on the Gryffindor notice board.

It said, 'There is to be a school ball on the sixteenth of January. Dress robes are to be worn, all years can attend, and it is not compulsory to attend, though we recommend that you do. Every two years, this ball will take place on the same date.'

Everyone was chattering excitedly amongst themselves. Lavender and Parvati danced up to me.

"Who do you think's going to ask you?" Lavender squealed.

"I know." Parvati said slyly. "Ronald, or Terry Boot. Or that Slytherin, Malfoy."

I stared at her, wide-eyed. Okay, Ron I could understand. But Terry? Draco? They didn't like me ... we were only friends ... right?

"N-no, Parv, I don't think so." I stuttered, but Parvati and Lavender gave me sly smirks and sauntered off through the portrait hole.

Harry came up to me.

"I'm not going." He announced. "I can't dance."

"Oh, you so are! I'll teach you. It's easy, really." Hermione said, who had sneaked up behind us.

Hermione began to show him what to do, while I climbed through the portrait hole and wandered down to the Great Hall absently.

It seemed like all the houses had got the notice, because there was a sort of lively buzzing going on, with people from the different houses flitting back and forth, occasionally a burst of giggles would break out, and less occasionally, a group of students would break out in cheers and clap, while a girl and a boy stood in the middle, blushing, as if one of them had just asked the other to the ball.

I nervously made my way to the Gryffindor table, because quite a few people were eyeing me up. About a quarter of the Gryffindor boys, all the first year boys from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff, and a couple more from the second, third, and even forth years from the other houses were doing it. But only one from Slytherin was looking at me as if he wanted to ask me to the ball. My Dragon.

He got up, and started to causally walk (but I could see that he was nervous; he kept rubbing his nose and running his hands through his hair, and his normally pale face had gone a little pink) from the Slytherin table to the Gryffindor table.

But Terry beat him to it. He stood up from the Ravenclaw table and stood beside me.

"Daisy Lily Potter." He said. "Will you go to the ball with me?"

I immediately went pink. This was happening ... this was happening ... he was asking me to the ball! "Uh, sure."

Then I glared at my group, daring them, just daring them, to cheer and make a scene.

Suzanne and Shannon didn't dare, but sat grinning at me. Amy, Fred, and George cat-called and clapped, though, and I got out my wand.

"Now, now." Fred said, eyeing it apprehensively. "Just a bit of fun."

"Oh really?" I raised my wand.

"No, no!" George yelled. "I'm sorry!"

"Forgive me!" Amy shrieked.

I grinned evilly, and they cowered.

"Jk." I said, and pocketed it.

They all sighed in relief.

I looked over at Draco. He was staring at us in dismay. Then he muttered something to himself, shot a weak smile at me, and walked out the double doors. Huh.