Chapter 1: Work It

Dick paced around his desk. He had nothing. Except a missing girl that is. Nothing was coming to him. No one had motive. She was a nice girl in a safe neighborhood. Staking out her parents did nothing, they were surprisingly clean.

"You good Dick?" Quinn asked, sitting at the desk in front of Dick's.

"Yeah, I've just got a missing girl and no clues," Dick said as his mind thought through a million possibilities per minute.

"Well, is she abused?" Quinn asked.

"Not that I can tell. Her parents appear clean. She has no suspicious hospital visits. According to her friends she is an avid tank top wearer and happiest girl in the world," Dick said, sitting down.

"Maybe that's why," Quinn said gently, "Maybe someone was jealous of her?"

Dick looked down at his paperwork, "That is a possibility but no way a high school student could pull off...a kidnapping without leaving a trace." He pondered his friend's suggestion for a few minutes before it hit him.

"Happy all the time. That's it Quinn!" Dick exclaimed, "She is a runaway!"

"A happy girl ran away?" Quinn asked slowly.

"You're a genius. Exactly. So the theory is she ran away because she isn't actually happy. She might be depressed but undiagnosed so she is faking her happiness and doesnt know what to do anymore," Dick exclaimed, "This gives me a good idea of where to look for her." Quinn watched Dick grab his keys then run from the building, still incredibly confused.

Dick took off his gun and locked it in the glovebox with his badge. He then slipped off his hat and jacket that said BPD on it. For a moment he sat memorizing the face of the girl in his file before looking out his window, a moment of hesitation. Dick quickly pulled out his phone and sent a text.

D: Could I pull off looking like a teenager?

Dick glanced out the window not expecting an immediate reply when he got a response.

W: Hell yes.

D: Was not expecting that response.

W: Remember when you finally turned 18 and a while later we started having sex? It always panicked me sometimes when I forgot that you were 18 cause sometimes you looked like you were 16 or 17. And that's illegal yknow?

D: Wow.

Dick shook his head at his husband and turned off his phone. Finally he got out of the car and made his way towards the club. It was well known for being a hangout spot for teenagers and they usually only let teens in. Basically he either had to pass as one or flash his badge which would ruin it and cause the girl to run off.

The guy at the door waved him in and Dick took a breathe of relief. As he scanned the room he remembered every detail of the girl in his file until he found her in the corner, practically curled up that Dick almost missed her. Almost.

Dick made his way over towards her and sat down a few feet away. "My name's Dick," he offered and watched the girl look up at him slightly. She had tear tracks on her face and looked like she hadn't showered for a few days. Poor thing had probably been sitting in this corner for days before going missing.

"Uh, I'm Shaniqua," she faintly whispered in the loud club.