Chapter 3: Stress

"...shoot out at local teen hangout..." Wally looked up from what he was cooking to glance at the TV. The news woman looked grim, "At least 9 teenagers are dead on site after the shootout at local teen bar Akadia. Rumors also suggest a Bludhaven Police Officer was on scene. The officer supposedly sustained major injuries before taking out the assailant." Wally flinched as his phone rang, never a good sign when stuff was going down like this on the local news.

"This is Wally Grayson-West," Wally said, biting his lip hoping what he thought was true wasnt true.

"Mr. West. Your husband was in an accident. Please get to the Bludhaven Memorial Hospital as soon as convenient," Quinn spoke over the line solemnly.

"I'm just around the corner. I'll be there in a minute," Wally said quickly before hanging up. In a second he had sped to the back side of the hospital. He took a deep breath then walked around quickly but at a human pace. Walking in he saw an officer only just putting his phone back in his pocket, "Quinn?"

"Yes, you must be Dick's husband," Quinn said, turning around to face him.

"Is he okay? What happened?" Wally exclaimed.

"Firstly, Dick is physically fine. He was working on a case and ended up at the Akadia. It was purely a wrong place wrong time incident. His case ended up overlapping with another. There was a gunman outside and Dick  was there when the first shots were fired. Several more people were killed before Dick had managed to stop the assailant," Quinn explained.

"Which room is he in?" Wally asked.

"I'll take you to him," Quinn said and led Wally down the hallway. As they stepped into the room Wally immediately rushed over to Dick.

"I thought you said he was fine?" Wally said, turning around to Quinn in an accusatory tone.

"He was shot in the shoulder but he has been patched up and will be discharged tomorrow morning. There were no other injuries," Quinn explained, "They just gave him some medicine to get some rest."

Wally took a deep breath, "Okay," and sat down in the chair beside Dick, taking his hand.

"I'll leave you alone," Quinn said, "I have to get back to the station and his doctor will be in every hour or so."

Wally watched Quinn leave and just held Dick's hand until he finally had a thought. He should probably call the Batfamily and let them know Dick's situation and that Dick is okay. Wally pulled out his phone and dialed Bruce's number.

A second later he heard a phone ringing and turned around. "Hello Wally," Bruce stated.

"How did you...?" Wally started.

"I'm Batman," Bruce stated, "Now, have you spoken to the doctor yet?"

"No, he'll be back within the hour though. I did speak to Dick's partner though who filled me in. Gunshot to the shoulder and they gave him some drugs to help him rest," Wally explained. Bruce hummed and nodded. This hospital took flesh wounds a lot more serious than they did, no wonder that had to give Dick something to make him stay still.

Hours Later

"This is ridiculous," Dick exclaimed, "I dont need a sling. I'm fine." The doctor flinched in worry as Dick waved his arm around to prove his point.

"Most people are in much greater pain. The wound should make it very difficult to move your arm," the doctor said, still holding the sling he was trying to give Dick.

Wally sighed, "Babe, just put on the sling and make the man happy "

Dick rolled his eyes at Wally, "Fine but I'm taking it off as soon as I'm out of here." He finally let the doctor put the sling on him and Dick stood up to leave.

"They want to keep you overnight," Wally said, knowing it wouldnt matter much.

"I'd like to see them try and stop me," Dick said as he sent Wally a wink. Wally smiled and took his husband's hand to walk out and get Dick discharged.

"This is not advised," the nurse at the front desk said as Bruce walked up behind Dick and Wally.

Dick smiled at the woman, "I'm perfectly fine Ma'am. Now can I see the paperwork?" She relented and let him sign a few things.

Half an hour later they were in the limo with Bruce and Alfred. "Nice to see you again Mister Wally, Master Dick," Alfred greeted.

"Hi Alfie," Dick and Wally said cheerily at the same time.

Bruce smiled, "So Dick, we will drop you two at your apartment but I know Damian is looking forward to seeing you."

"I'll stop by the Manor soon, I promise," Dick swore, "In the meantime I'll call Damian later tonight."

As they pulled up in front of Dick and Wally's apartment building, Dick gave Bruce a quick hug and pat Alfred on the back. "Bye Alfie! Love you Bruce," Dick called as he and Wally got out of the car.

Bruce chuckled, "Love you too Dick."