#2 Hope

I wear my striped t-shirt and take a look at my reflection on the mirror. I'm 5'8'' and petite, and prefer unisex attires: hoodies, collared shirts, jackets, loose-fitted t-shirts and dark jeans.

From a distance one might mistake me for a boy, if it wasn't for my shoulder length dark hair.

I've a unisex face too, with sharp and small nose, pointy chin and thin lips. If I were a boy, I would be very handsome.  I also look okay as a girl, thanks to my beautiful mother.

I've her green eyes.

My parents passed away in a car accident when I was young. My aunt and I moved to our current pack, The Black Dagger, shorty after my parents' death.

We were having some troubles in our old pack, especially me. So, to keep me safe, my aunt, Magda, took me with her and moved here.

She knew the now Gamma's mother through her work and that's how we got the permission to join this pack from the then Alpha's, Mathew's father, permission.

The Black Dagger pack is well known among werewolves. They're elite, influential and wealthy. They're also generous and good-natured, the reason why other packs willingly treat them like royalty.

Magda and I are lucky to be a part of this pack.

And now I'm a mate to their Alpha! I face palm myself. Just how ungrateful you're making me look, Goddess?! I ask, looking up at the ceiling.

"Sam, come down! You're late for school!" Magda shouts from the kitchen.

"Coming!" I shout back. I don't want to go to school.

I'm friendly with everyone in school and everyone is friendly with me.

Not a single kid in my school has ever been mean to me because I'm wolf-less. All the kids in my class are nice and fun to hang out with.

But I still keep my distance, because of some past mistakes.

I'm studious but not nerdy. I can play sports but I'm not athletic. I hang out with others after school but I'm not extroverted.

I always keep the balance. Never fully this, never fully that. It gives me a kind of freedom.

Back in school, as I walk towards my locker, I see Zack standing near it.

"Hi," I greet him, hoping he hasn't brought me any bad news. 

"Hey, So... you haven't told anyone right?"

"No." 

I'm a little offended that he thinks I might not have kept my promise. What kind of person he thinks I am?

"Good," he says.

"Good," I copy him and open the locker to get my English workbook.

"Are you alright?" he asks.

I close my locker and smile at him. "Yeah, I'm fine. You know, I feel like I should apologize for the situation we're in, especially to Helena. But I swear, I didn't do anything!"

He laughs. "No, you didn't, unless you personally know the Moon Goddess and bribed her to make Mathew your mate."

"If I knew her, I've other things to ask," I thoughtfully say.

Zack sighs. "Don't we all wish we knew her."

"What do you want with me?" I ask him.

"I'm picking you up after school. We're going to Mathew's place to discuss what to do next."

I'm nervous about seeing Mathew again, even more about visiting his home. I tell Zack, "Don't get me wrong but do I have to come? I'll accept whatever you guys decide to do next. It's the least I can do."

He looks at me confused.

"What?" I ask.

"Don't you feel anything?"

"I do. I know he's my mate. I can sense the pull," I tell him the truth.

"Yeah, but other than that? You seem to be too fine with it."

I laugh. "You do know I'm wolf-less right? I don't have a wolf in my head ready to pounce at its mate," I say laughing and then pausing before continuing with a serious face.

"I also know about Alpha and Helena. I've seen them together in school for years. You don't know how much guilty I feel because of all this," I tell him.

"I know. It's hard on you, too."

I nod.

"But don't worry, we'll fix this."

A smile breaks out in my face. Yeah, I was right! They'll take care of it!