Chapter Twelve

"Lord Anxiety!" I looked up from where I was perched in a twisted willow. A dark brown horned Owl was heading for me, a cream parchment tied to its leg. I held out my arm for him to land on. His talons torn into my arm. I felt blood trickle from the puncture points, but otherwise ignored the pain. The owl dipped his head in apology. "Forgive me."

"There was nothing we could do to stop it." I answered simply, untying the letter.

To Lord Virgil Anxiety
Dark Forest
Sent from Kingdom of Liesenburg

I growled and tucked the letter into my cloak. "I don't need this right now." I sighed with a voice lower than a whisper. "You're excused." The owl nodded and flew off.

A nervous feeling started to scale my spine from my stomach. This is all going to end horribly. Whats the point? Lets go to sleep. A voice whispered in my head. Honestly, sleep sounded so nice. I hadn't slept well, except for the few minutes in the castle.

Speaking of which...

"Anxiety!" A loud, extravagant voice bellowed from the thorn walls of the forest. "We are here!"

I sighed. "So loud." I spread my feathered wings and called out a warning to the forest.

Virgil, I do not put my trust in these humans. Yee are the only one myself trust. Call me if yee need my assistance. A deeper female voice rang in my head. Wisdom shone through the voice, calm and elegant.

Of course Wicca. I responded telepathically and looked down at the group of city guards and scientists that came.

Of the people there were Patton, Roman, and Logan, three scientists, and four guards. I huffed and landed on the thorn wall. "Hello." I murmured, forcing a cold mask on to hide the pure horror, and ironically anxiety, that pulsed through my body.

"Hey V!" Patton giggled and waved with two hands, a basket in his arms. I nodded a greeting.

"Anxiety! I want you too meet the others!" Roman broken in. "This is Talyn," he motioned to the shorter scientist. They had short hair with blue colorant and black square framed. They were adorable, but I had a feeling I should not upset them. They waved at me, though their eyes were on my wings. "This lovely person is Joan!" The next scientist was taller than Talyn with dark hair, pale skin and dark fuzz on their chin and upper lip. They too were staring at my wings, looking as if they'd reach out and touch them any minute, if they could reach that was. I pulled them closer behind me. "And finally: Terence." Terence was darker skinned with short black hair and sparkling eyes. He seemed like a goofball, with that huge smile he was wearing.

"Hi!!!" He grinned happily. I relaxed some. He reminded me of Patton.

"Next, the Guards and or Knights!" Roman pushed on. "First up, Valerie!" Admittedly I'd never heard of a female knight, though I didn't care. Valerie was very pretty, ivory skin with dark hair that framed her face. While she seemed more 'princess like', I'd prefer not to be at the end of her sword. "And Remy!" Remy looked bored. He was the same height as Roman with bored, honestly tired looking eyes. His lips were dressed in a glittery sheen, and the smell of a dark roasted coffee radiated off of him. He grunted a hello. "And those are the twins; Pranks and Missy." The twins were almost identical. Tanned skin, dark hair, tall, with a certain twinkle in their eyes that made me uncomfortable. The only different was Missy was a bit shoulder and had a mole under his left eye.

"Hey Anxiety, your cloak has a hole...lotta patches!" Missy grinned.

I sighed. "This is not a game." I growled, shutting him up. "This forest is not a game, these creatures are not a joke. Make a mistake and they'll tear you apart."

"Harsh." Roman glared. I held his glare with my own until he backed down.

"I will introduce you to the kinder creatures, and move up to the touchier ones. And Roman, you will eventually meet the 'Dragon Witch' and you will not harm her." I glared.

"You'd been so chill yesterday. What happened?!" Roman grumbled.

"Sometimes I just have to be me..nuh." I rolled my eyes and jumped down. I raised my hand and touched the thorn wall. The vines started twisting away, opening up the forest. A few people gasped behind me. "Follow me. Patton, you're joining them?"

"Yup! The king called me a bridge?" Patton hummed, matching my step. "Who are we meeting first?! Fairies? Unicorns?"

"No. Jackalopes." I answered simply, closing the vines without looking. I could sense the unease  the towns folk, except Logan. He was just intrigued, and watching Patton.

"Bunnies!" Patton and Terrance squealed and tool off running.

"Wait! No!" I ran forward, tackling them to the ground. Too late. A large white paw shot forward. I jumped up and held onto the paw.

"Intruder!" The creature screeched. In front of us was a horse sized rabbit with large moose like horns.

"I'm sorry. These are the humans that want to study us. The mean no harm, those two were just happy to meet you." I explained, spreading my wings to stop the knights from attacking.

"They...they wish too meet me?! Us?!" The creature's hind leg thumped happily. Another poof and the Jackalope was in my arms. He started washing his face. "So embarrassed! Ask them to forgive me!"

"He apologizes. You scared him. The jackalope are calm creatures, but they scare easy." I explained, handing Patton the white creature. Soon more jackalope came out of hiding. They walked up to the humans and were happily examined. I smiled and walked over to a rock. I sat down and clutched my stomach. My arm hurt from the owl, and then my stomach from catching the paw. Luckily no one had noticed.

Hopefully.