Scary moments at the fortree city gym

(Sorry I have no pictures, I didn't have my ipad at the time)

So I got to Winona's gym battle. I haven't even gotten this far in the game ever. And she was down to her Altaria and I still had my full team. My Pelipper was out because I bought a TM for Blizzard. So let me try to illustrate this:

Pelipper used Blizzard
*Altaria lives at very low health, uses Dragon Dance*
Ok, I'll just go for Surf
*winona used super potion*
So Altaria continues to set up in my face, as I nearly kill it or miss the blizzard, healing when necessary.
She had 5 DDs and so I thought "maybe she'll attack me this turn" so I hit Protect
And she went for another DD and I was so angry at my misprediction
It maxed out its attack and speed, then uses Aerial Ace and Pelipper faints.
"Oh, well if it knows Aerial Ace, maybe Aron can take a hit
Altaria used Earthquake
And I laughed, knowing it was the end
Vulpix fainted
Gardevoir fainted (I used a revive on Pelipper but she fainted again)
Sableye fainted (all I could do was Fake Out, as if it would help, since it was at almost full health.)
Sceptile fainted

Lucky for me, I saved right in front of her so I just reloaded the game.

Attempt 2: "second time's the charm"
The beginning of the battle went fine, I didn't have any problems. Then it got to Altaria again. This time I put out Gardevoir, because she could set up Calm Mind while Altaria used DD.
So after 2 CMs I wanted to click Psychic but I accidentally clicked Flash. I said "no!" and then tried to think positively "maybe it'll come in clutch."
Altaria used Earthquake and it connected "maybe not."
I sent out Sableye and used Fake Out.
Altaria used Earthquake and it missed (which scared the heck out of me)
Sableye went for Night Shade which did 33 damage since she was level 33.
Altaria missed another Earthquake and I'm freaking out and went for another Night Shade. Altaria was now sitting comfortably at red health.
I switched out Sableye, so I could go for Fake Out again and sacked off my Vulpix. Luckily she didn't heal.
I threw Sableye out and went for Fake Out, getting us the win, as I'm freaking out over a misclick.

Now I'm scared for Tate and Liza, I've heard their gym is interesting. (And yes, I know they fight in a double battle.)