Reorientation: 1

Goliath leapt onto the side of the tower wall. His talons pierced the stone and he climbed upward, his hands sounding like a sledge hammer against concrete. His five companions gathered themselves and then followed. Xanatos waited patiently as the sound of these climbing beasts sank into his consciousness. The danger he was in could not be overstated, but as always, he controlled himself.

Goliath sprang over the wall.

"Good evening, you mus..." Xanatos started, but could not finish. Goliath had stepped forward without a word and put a massive hand around the billionaire's neck.

"Who," he demanded, "are you? And how have you gained access to the castle?!"

Xanatos motioned with his eyes to be let down. Although every muscle in his body strained, his stare remained firm. Goliath lowered him, maintained his grip a moment longer, then released him. Xanatos immediately doubled over, placed his hands on his knees and erupted into a wheezy coughing fit. In the meantime, Goliath's companions made it over the wall themselves and took up position behind him.

Xanatos' fit passed. When he was sure he was fully in control, he stood back up and faced what would either be his demise, or his greatest victory. "Good evening to you too, Goliath," he said. "My name is David Xanatos, and you owe me your life."

Goliath took a step forward. "Do not speak in riddles. How have you gained access to the castle and what is it that you want?" His eyes were piercing.

"Goliath, what I have to tell you is not going to be easy to understand. Might I suggest you take a moment to orient yourself. Listen carefully. Do you hear the sound of soldiers? The crackle of fires? The voices of comrades in arms, preparing for battle?"

Goliath did not move, but his face revealed that the words had made an impact. He listened, he strained, but there was silence. It was the right tactic, Xanatos knew. Slow him down, occupy his mind, control the room. "Look out again," he continued. "Do you see your countryside, or the sea?"

Goliath did not move and his eyes stayed fixed on Xanatos.

"I am unarmed," Xanatos said, raising both hands in the air, "and I mean you no harm. On the contrary, I am hear to help you. I am hear to tell you what has happened, some of which you will find difficult to believe. Allow me to start with this: you have not slept one day since your last sunrise. You have slept for a thousand years."

Goliath did not take his eyes from Xanatos. "The four of you, inspect the castle!" he suddenly roared. His companions turned immediately, jumped onto the wall and then out into the open air. Several minutes passed. Neither Goliath nor Xanatos spoke, and the silence was beginning to affect Goliath. The castle was quiet, as if no one were there. But that didn't make any sense. If the invaders had achieved victory, why would they abandon the spoils so quickly? And who was this Xanatos who was dressed so strangely and who spoke in mysteries? He was surely a sorcerer, but what did he want with the clan? As was his custom, he quieted his racing mind. He would call on his patience and wait for the answers to come.

His companions returned one after the other. The last to arrive was the elder, who landed next to Goliath. "I do not know what has happened here, but it is wrapped up in sorcery, of that I'm sure!" he proclaimed.

"What did you find?"

"Tis true, the castle appears to be empty. But it isn't our castle. Aye it's Wyvern alright, but things have changed. Things are clean, orderly, like noone's been here for quite some time. And we're not at the sea. We're in some other realm—floating somehow. I've no explanation, lad. We'll have to take it from him."