Reconnaissance: 2

Flying back had been a fraught experience. Goliath had wanted more from Demona and from Xanatos, but the flight meant turning to stone sooner than would otherwise have occurred. On the other hand, it was probably better, because it allowed Goliath to calm himself. Had he attempted to engage with them too soon, he probably would have revealed too much. As it worked out, when he awoke he was able to engage in conversation without tipping his hand.

Now, he was atop Wyvern's tower once more and the others were gathering below, as he had commanded. He was collecting himself, as he would need his composure to pull off his plan. When they were all there, he glided down. He was stern and unflinching, because he wanted them to listen and obey—nothing more.

"These recent events have changed things," he said. "This place, this time, will require much of us. We are no longer the superior force in battle. We are at a disadvantage, and this can not be." He looked at the group, letting his words sink in, then he continued. "We must learn all that we can and then we must train to use it. This can no longer wait. Demona, you will start with these three," he gestured to the three youngest. "You will take them, show them this new world and its dangers, as you showed me and teach them to defend against them. Begin immediately."

Demona looked first at him, then the others, then uncrossed her arms in a state of surprise.

"I...am glad to see that you are coming to your senses Goliath," she said. "But we should train together. Our whole clan must be ready, including you and the Elder."

"And we shall," Goliath said. "But not tonight. Do not worry, we shall not be idle. There is something we need which we will procure."

"What—" Demona was cut off.

"I will not explain myself!" Goliath said, sternly. "If we are to succeed in what I feel we must do, then time will be of the essence. I have considered our options and believe that dividing our attentions, for now, will most benefit the clan as a whole."

Goliath's tone left no room for debate. Demona nearly pushed back. She had lived a long time without the clan and the hierarchy. But somehow, being back with them again made her fall into her old position. She had been subordinate then, and part of her returned to it now. She also believed that her knowledge and experience was far beyond Goliath's. It did not occur to her that he could be out-maneuvering her.

"Very well," she said simply.

Goliath placed his hand on the Elder. "Come with me, old friend." And with that, the meeting was over.

A few minutes later, they watched as Demona and the three others glided away. Then the Elder broke the silence. "Aye, laddie, the leader needn't to explain himself when 'is mind's made up, you'll get no row from me on that score. But these are strange times. A tad more explaining could do a lot to boost the spirits of the lads, especially after the kick in the keester they had last night."

Goliath let a low growl escape. "For the moment, it will be necessary for you and I alone to know our plans. Things are not right my old friend. We need help."

The Elder looked at his once protege. "What's got ya spooked, lad?"

Goliath looked out over the city. Demona had been his mate. The clan had been his charge. That history brought out strong feelings inside him, feelings of duty, honor, loyalty. He could not bring himself to reveal everything he was thinking, because he feared how it would affect them all, especially if he was wrong. He needed more.

"Do you remember when you made me the first?" Goliath asked.

"Aye, like it was yesterday. Which it very nearly was I suppose," the Elder replied. "It took some doing. You seem a mind that I'll reach a hundred years of age, in spite of all this." The Elder grabbed his belly which hung rather proudly over his belt. Goliath smirked.

"You saw in me a leader you could trust, even when I did not," Goliath said. "You'll need to trust me now."

The Elder looked at him. He was worried, but he also understood what was being asked, and he was not one to disappoint.

"Well then, what say ya you tell me what we're to do this evening."

Goliath smiled a thanking smile and a moment of warmth passed between them. Then Goliath was ready for action.

"Things are not right. This Xanatos is more than he seems and Demona is telling us less than she knows. What I do not understand is why. We will need assistance." The Elder was listening patiently while Goliath hopped onto the ledge. Looking over his shoulder he continued, "And I know where to look."

He leapt from the wall and the Elder immediately followed, leaving the dog-like gargoyle whimpering at the edge. The two glided for quite some time before Goliath made a swift dive down to a rooftop. When they both were looking over the edge he pointed below.

"Do you see these markings, in the white and blue?" Goliath pointed at a row of police cars and the N-Y-P-D lettering on each side. "Do you remember it from the other night, when we watched the group of humans attacking the structure?"

"Aye," the Elder said. "I remember."

"They are the sheriffs of this time. I believe they could help us."

The elder held his chin and thought for a moment.

"Perhaps," he said. "But did Demona not say that these humans don't understand what we are? I don't suppose they'll react easy to the likes of us."

"Do you remember the woman who arrived suddenly and spoke to the angry humans?"

"Aye."

"She will help us."

The Elder turned and looked at Goliath. He was not used to feeling skeptical of Goliath's decisions, but he did not quite understand where this was coming from. He said nothing, only raised an eyebrow and held his eyes on his friend. The answer would come.

"The night we awakened. The battle at the castle," Goliath began. "She fell over the edge and I saved her."

"Oh?"

"I caught her and brought her to safety. Since then there has been no sign. Xanatos has said nothing and she has not appeared. Either she does not believe what she saw, or she does but does not know what to do, or feels that no one will believe her whatever she does." Goliath stopped to see if the Elder was following. He needed it spelled out.

"No matter which of these scenarios is the truth, it will serve us. If she knows we are real but does not know if or how to act, then it shows that she is deliberate, rational, and could be made to see reason. If she does not believe what she saw, there will be more risk, but the fact that our appearance will not be the first time may ease our introduction and give us a chance to control the situation." The Elder was watching intently, but still no response. Goliath leaned forward and looked down at the precinct below.

"As we watched her speak to the angry people, she was in control," Goliath continued, slowly. "She faced power far greater than her own, but summoned a power of equal match. Last night, at our old home, something became clear to me, old friend. We are alone. Demona is here, but she is not here. Something is changed in her and we can not know what she wants. And Xanatos. Xanatos seeks power, not friendship. We are serving him somehow, but it is not clear to me in what capacity. And we, we are but helpless hatchlings discovering the world for the first time. We must have guidance. We must have an ally."

"Aye laddie, what ya say has sense. But does it not seem clearer to confront Demona? If she's holding back surely ya can scrape it outta her?"

Goliath's face darkened. "She is like a shadow. I see the form of my beloved, but not her. One thousand years have passed. What happens to a Gargoyle in all that time?" Goliath had spoken those words but not really to the Elder. He had uttered them into the night, as if no one were with him. His head sank. Then, just a suddenly, he picked it up again.

"I can see no other way, my friend. You must trust me. We must find this woman. We will watch her clan and wait. Sooner or later she will appear." Goliath perched on the ledge and stared hard below. The Elder stood silently a few seconds, then took his place beside Goliath.

"Aye," he said.