Remembrances: 3

Xanatos was looking out over the city. His city, he believed. While he waited for Demona and Goliath to return, he was reminiscing about his childhood. His father had been a tyrant. Not in an overbearing, vulgar sort of way, but in a low key, psychological one. He let his little David know that he was a disappointment and that he would go on being a disappointment until he achieved something greater than what his father had. And that would be pretty difficult, given that Xanatos was the only heir to his father's estate. How could a person prove he was as good when the world would always assume that his inheritance had given him a head-start? That was something that had vexed Xanatos for many years—until tonight.

Demona and Goliath did not just represent a powerful weapon, they represented something that Xanatos had achieved on his own. His interest in medieval history had lead to the discovery of the legend of the Gargoyles. More than that, his insistence that not everything of value was tied to business had lead to his dogged pursuit of the matter which, in turn, had ultimately lead to finding Demona. Xanatos' father never would have pursued such things and therefore, never would have found himself in the position Xanatos was on the cusp of being in. At least, that was what he was busy telling himself when, at last, he saw the two specks in the distance that were Demona and Goliath appear and slowly grow larger.

After a few minutes, the two Gargoyles made their descent to the tower and then, with a heavy flap and a thud, landed before Xanatos.

"Welcome back," he said. "I assume the outing was a success?"

Demona approached and handed him the disc she'd taken from the Cyberbiotics Flying Fortress. "It was as you said."

Goliath stood silently. Xanatos turned his attention toward him. "You seem uneasy Goliath. What is it?"

"I do not like being kept in the dark. There was no mention that this mission was one of destruction."

Xanatos studied Goliath's face. He was more than fascinated. Although Demona had told him that Goliath was different—that he was strong, wedded to his principles, and uncommonly stubborn—he had not expected such a huge contrast between him and Demona. It was, Xanatos understood with a slight mixture of amusement and self-gratification, a testament to the power of prejudice. Since Demona was the first Gargoyle he'd ever met and she was moody, sour, and violent, Xanatos had expected at least some of the same from Goliath. It was not to be found.

"You're right," Xanatos said finally. "I did not fully inform you. But, I can assure that was not a decision born of ill will or distrust. We simply did not have the time to debate the issue." He paused briefly. "Goliath," he continued. "It will take you weeks, maybe months to reorient yourself to this time. There is simply no way around the fact that sometimes, you are just going to have to trust me."

"Trust," Goliath answered, "requires merit."

Xanatos smiled. "I could not have said it better myself. Allow me to begin the process now. This disc contains information about a weapon that Cyberbiotics was building. They wanted to use this weapon as a means to overthrow the government. Our government is legitimate Goliath, and those of us who are its loyal subjects have a duty to protect it. It is, so to speak, our castle. Do you understand?"

Goliath crossed his arms. "If what you say is true, then I understand. Still, was the complete destruction of their flying castle truly necessary?"

"Absolutely." Xanatos let the word sink in. He had learned long ago that sometimes the best persuasion was conviction. "Let me make a suggestion," he continued. "Do not take my word for it now. Let's agree to leave our relationship open-ended for the time being. It will be dawn soon. I can promise you this, and Demona will vouch for it: you can sleep here tonight, and as many nights as you choose, free from worry. You will be protected, whether or not you have decided to trust me. If at a later date, you decide I am not worthy of your trust, you can leave at that time."

Goliath narrowed his eyes, as if to peer inside. Xanatos knew how to handle that too. "Your other option is to find a safe place to sleep within the next ten minutes."

Demona reached out and closed a hand around Goliath's arm. He looked at her and she gave a nod.

"Very well," Goliath said. And with that, he turned and dove from the tower, circling down to the courtyard. He landed just as the elder was emerging from inside the castle.

"There y'are lad," he said. "We were beginning to worry. 'Twill be sunrise soon."

Goliath did not answer and as the elder got closer, he saw the grave look on his face. "What is it Laddy? Is everything alright?"

"No," Goliath said, casting his gaze up to the tower. "Something is wrong."

——

Xanatos looked over the tower edge to ensure Goliath was out of earshot. "I take it you brought the fortress down?" he said to Demona.

"It is down," she said flatly.

"Excellent," was the reply. "And what is on this disc?" Xanatos held up the CD she'd given him.

"It was in a boom-box," Demona said. "I assume it was the pilot's music. You humans never can satisfy yourselves with the task at hand. You always require your entertainment."

Xanatos smiled, while allowing the acidity of her contempt to roll off him. "Well," he said. "Not all of us."

Demona looked at him. "We'll see," she said.

Xanatos turned and headed down from the tower. He entered the great hall and strode to his desk. He was exhausted, and yet filled with the thrill of all he had witnessed that day. He slowly reached out and pressed the intercom. "Owen, cancel my appointments for tomorrow."

"Yes, Mr. Xanatos," came the crackly reply.

He dropped heavily back into his chair, held the disc in his hand up for a second, then tossed it into the trash can.

Outside the sun rose and Goliath and his clan turned to stone.