Subterfuge: 1

Xanatos backed into the opening in the wall. The docking system attached to his exosuit with a metallic chunk, then the chest plate disengaged and the leg armor split and he was free to step out. Once he had stepped away, the suit clanged back together and was sucked tightly against the inner wall. Xanatos was still marveling at the smoothness of his work when Owen stepped up behind him.

"Detective Bluestone has found his way back to his car."

"Excellent. Thank you Owen," Xanatos said.

"You are not concerned about when he awakes?" Owen asked, with a raised eyebrow.

Xanatos took his gaze from the suit and faced Owen. "I'm counting on detective Maza to handle that," he said. Owen did not see how, but he knew better than to ask. He had worked with Xanatos long enough to know that if he wanted to explain, he would do so without prodding. If he didn't, then asking was pointless. As he predicted, a few moments later Xanatos continued. "Maza is bold, not sloppy. She has it in for me, for some reason, but she strikes me as anything but foolish. If she goes to her superiors now, she'll have to explain what she was doing charging in here without a warrant. If she claims she heard explosions, I'll say it was simple construction work, such as we've been doing for the last three months and I'll threaten to sue the city for violation of my constitutional rights. I suspect she understands that much."

"She also saw Goliath and his companions. As did detective Bluestone," Owen said.

Xanatos smirked. "I'll deny everything, of course. Moreover, I'll note that this story of theirs would make a great argument against their competence in court. I could argue that it was their delusions that lead them to violate my rights. The court case alone would destroy their careers. Stories of mayhem and monsters on a New York City skyscraper—it would garner a good deal of attention and it would not be welcome attention for them, I'd make sure of that. As you know Owen, in public life it's not the truth that matters, it's the story you can craft for the press."

Xanatos sat behind his desk. Even though his suit enhanced his strength, he was still quite exhausted from his part in the fight. The night was not yet over, though. His next move was critical. He had predicted correctly that Cyberbiotics would assume that he was behind the theft from their armored vehicle and that they would not wait long to attempt to recover their property. Their impeccable timing gave him the window he was looking for. With Demona's help, he was now ready to cast himself in the role of victim. That, combined with his residence in the castle, would be his path towards building a partnership with Goliath and his clan. He was gaining a special force that was unparalleled in the world. And, of course, even more importantly, he was setting up his opportunity to get Goliath to deliver what he was really after. The power that was nearly in his grasp thrilled Xanatos, although he maintained his poker face as always.

"Thank you Owen, that will be all." With that, Xanatos rose from his chair and headed out through the back of the room. As he climbed the stairs to the tower he collected his strength. A few moments later he emerged from the hatch. Demona and Goliath were still holding one another. He looked at them, and for a short moment, longed for a partner of his own. Then it was gone, and he set to work.

"It is rewarding to see two beings reuinted after so long," Xanatos said, breaking the silence.

Goliath released Demona and stepped forward. "While I do not know you, I must thank you for waking us, and for bringing Demona and I together again," he said, extending a hand to Xanatos.

"There are some perks to being a billionaire," Xanatos replied as they shook hands. He paused briefly, then continued. "I don't wish to appear pushy, but I'm afraid circumstances may require it. Goliath, whether or not we are to have a long term partnership, in the short term we share a common problem."

"And what problem is that?" Goliath asked.

"Cyberbiotics," Xanatos answered. "This attack was only exploratory. They were testing our defenses. They underestimated me of course, as always, but they'll be back, and in force." Xanatos turned and walked to the wall. He put his hands on it and looked out over the courtyard and the wreckage. "It's funny Goliath. You were frozen in stone for a thousand years and yet it might as well have been a single day. You've awoken to the exact same situation you went to sleep with. The castle is under attack, and the invaders will be here tonight. The only difference is this time, as you can see, the walls won't protect you. They'll come back and you'll have to face them inside. And what's worse, with only a handful of your kind to help."

"And what exactly do you propose we do?" Goliath asked, his tone communicating a slight sense of distrust.

"The same thing you were preparing for a thousand years ago. Head out and strike first," Xanatos said.

Demona sensed it was her turn. "I know it is difficult for you my love," she said. "You've woken to find everything changed. You don't know who to trust. I felt that same feeling the night this all began. I've felt it many times since. But there is one thing that can be your—that can be our guide—in this moment and that is the fact that this man rescued you and brought us together again."

Xanatos smiled to himself. It was remarkable how he and Demona were so in tune, so capable of playing off one another, like two musicians accompanying each other perfectly. "I know a way that you can stop this tonight with minimal risk and minimal confrontation," he said. "You may not have full trust in me now, so I can understand your hesitation to fight on my behalf, but if we do this right you won't have to, and we can sort the rest out after."

Goliath looked at Demona, then at Xanatos. Indeed, what could he do. He had broken from his stone form to find everything changed, and yet little changed. Perhaps his best course, for now, was to do what he would have done then. His eyes narrowed. "Explain," he said.