Premonitions: 2

Xanatos was watching the shiny metal pieces flow buy on the conveyor belt. The lab was medium sized, not as large as his full size manufacturing plants, but big enough for the scale required of this particular venture. He glanced around and smiled to himself. Indeed, large enough for what he needed, small enough to stay off the radar.

Owen appeared at the far end of the building and strode toward his boss. Xanatos hadn't been expected, but Owen was never caught off guard. If there was one thing he could do, it was see to it that the wishes of his boss were put smoothly into action. Sometimes, however, the strategy changed midstream, and this, he surmised, was likely one of those times.

"Good morning, Owen," Xanatos said in his usual energetic tone.

"Good morning, Sir. How can I be of service?"

"Are we proceeding on schedule?" Xanatos asked.

"Yes sir. At the current rate, we'll comfortably hit our target on production. Assuming all goes well in research, they'll be fully deployable upon completion."

"Excellent," Xanatos said.

Owen sensed that there was something on Xanatos' mind. This time, rather than waiting, he decided to offer him a chance to talk. "Sir," he began, "do you not feel that employing them may be somewhat...conspicuous?"

"Conspicuous," Xanatos replied, "is the idea."

He started walking down the aisle, keeping his eyes on the conveyor belt. "They'll only be used sparingly at first," he continued. "But if all goes according to plan, as my power grows, I'll need an edge when it comes to defense. These I think will do nicely. You see Owen, it's all about the implicit."

Owen raised an eyebrow. He was not sure what Xanatos meant, but he knew the explanation would be forthcoming. After a moment, his expectation was fulfilled.

"Once deployed everyone, particularly my enemies, will know where they come from. We are, after all, one of only two companies with the kind of capacity necessary. However, there will be no proof and we will neither confirm nor deny. It will elevate my prestige, as well as my power to intimidate, all while maintaining a certain plausible deniability. That, Owen, is true power. For everyone to know what you are capable of, and even what you are currently doing, without you ever having to acknowledge it yourself."

He strolled onward, occasionally pausing to inspect some piece of the assembly line. He was clearly satisfied with himself. After a moment he stopped and spoke again. "Tell me something Owen. What do you think of Goliath?"

Owen considered for a moment. "Impressive," was his response.

"Indeed," Xanatos said. "He is however, proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. He is not like Demona. He is more stoic, less impulsive. He lacks the anger. He will be much more difficult to manipulate. I had hoped that we would be able to make the trip to Scotland sooner rather than later, but that may not go as planned."

Owen considered for a moment. He knew his boss was fishing for feedback, for some sort of suggestion. Owen took pride in that trust, even if Xanatos often hid it by beating around the bush with his conversation. "Perhaps," Owen said, "Goliath would respond better to a more direct approach."

"Tell him the truth?" Owen asked.

"Perhaps a version of the truth," was Owen's response.

They had reached the other end of the plant. Xanatos turned and looked back over the machinery. Machines, he realized, didn't require reasons or explanations. They did what they were programmed to do. They did not ask questions. Owen was right, he realized. People—or Gargoyles for that matter—required more input, more explanation. They need motivation. Demona had all the motivation she needed—hatred and anger. That was easy to manipulate, especially for someone like Xanatos. Goliath was calmer, more rational. He needed context. He also needed to feel that he was making a decision, leading himself and his clan in a course of action, not himself being lead by the nose to it. Xanatos smiled. As usual, he thought to himself, Owen had gotten his mind moving again which was exactly what he had come for. He now saw what he needed to do.

"Thank you, Owen. That will be all."