Reorientation: 2

Elisa, like all good detectives, couldn't always explain why she made one move or another. Her instinct came from years of subtle experience, with a hefty chunk of it playing out on the subconscious level. She had lived in New York her whole life. She had grown up walking its streets and while she had stayed out of any serious trouble herself, she knew how trouble worked there. It was part of her environment, influencing how she lived in it the same way a fish is influenced by the water in its bowl. After she joined the police force, her experience broadened even further. She moved within the gears of the city. She saw how its politics and its bureaucracy worked. She saw how different layers of society operated under different rules. She absorbed, unconsciously, how different social strata overlapped and interacted—how they pushed each other one way or the other. She saw how trouble worked on these levels and slowly, over time, what she had learned began invisibly shaping her movements, like water in the fishbowl. So now here she was, riding back down to Xanatos' headquarters to see if she could get some kind of confirmation that he was involved in the truck heist because something, somehow, was telling her that he was.

"Are you gonna tell me where we're headed?" Bluestone asked as they drove down the West Side Highway.

"To sit on Xanatos," Elisa said.

"What?" Bluestone said incredulously. "What the heck for?!"

Elisa didn't have an answer, at least, not a complete one. She knew that this business with Cyberbiotics had nothing to do with terrorism because the facts at the crime-scene simply didn't line up with that explanation. That was straight detective work, and she felt confident in it. Her gut instinct that Xanatos had something to do with this, on the other hand, was not so tangible. It was a hunch. "Listen, I know this isn't going to inspire a lot of confidence, but you're just gonna have to trust me," she said. "The reason I was late tonight was because I was with Xanatos when you called."

"What? What the heck for?!"

Elisa found Bluestone's repetition endearing. He was a classic blue collar kind of guy who was always simple and direct, which underscored his honesty. It also made many a perp underestimate his intelligence—an enormous mistake on their parts. "Nevermind that for now," she replied. "The point is that while I was there, I just had a sense that something was on his mind. He seemed a little off-balance, which is not like Xanatos."

"So what? Maybe his mom was coming over for dinner," Bluestone said. "What's that got to do with our case?"

"Listen Matt, I'd be lying if I didn't say this was a hunch. But think about it for a second. Cyberbiotics is about as high tech as it comes. They aren't trafficking in standard street fare. This isn't for some terrorist cell or some street gang or even Dracon. Who else in the city is on Cyberbiotic's level and might have the motive, and the nerve, to pull something like this? My gut tells me a big player is involved here, and Xanatos is as big as it gets."

Bluestone thought about it for a moment. It could certainly make sense, but it was also pretty squishy. In the end though, it didn't matter that much to him. If Elisa wanted to sit on Xanatos for an hour or two, he didn't have any other big plans. "Alright fine," he said. "But what exactly are we looking for? You expecting him to walk out with an android or something?"

"I don't know," she replied. "But somebody went to quite a bit of trouble to get whatever was in that truck. I'm betting that Cyberbiotics won't sit idly by. If we're lucky, it might be so big they'll respond tonight. Maybe a bunch of suits walk in. Maybe somebody besides us stakes him out. I'm not sure. But if something happens, it will at least tell us we're sniffing around in the right place. Maybe you'll just be blowing a perfectly good evening with me. If you want to bail, I'll understand."

"And miss all the fun? Not on your life," was his reply.

———

"Leave us," Goliath said, not taking his eyes off of Demona. Xanatos squinted ever so slightly. He did not take orders, especially not on his own premises, but he knew that this was a delicate moment and that he would need to show some flexibility. Obviously Goliath wanted to speak with Demona, and that certainly needed to happen.

"I understand. You need a moment alone with Demona and I am more than happy to grant you it," Xanatos said. "Allow me to assure you Goliath that although things have changed, very much so for you and your companions, I'm someone you can trust—probably one of the few." He looked at Goliath, then at Demona. Then he turned and climbed down the hatch from which Demona had appeared. After a few moments, Goliath spoke.

"What has happened? Where are we?"

"You are at castle Wyvern, Goliath. That much has not changed," Demona answered. "Beyond that, everything has. The castle is now atop a manmade structure located on a small island thousands of miles from where we once dwelled. In the thousand years since the spell was cast the humans have changed. They have developed technology that rivals the most powerful of sorcerers. They have spread across the earth—uncovered new lands, built cities beyond anything you have ever encountered. They travel at great speed. They communicate over fast distances. They fly through the air. They have even reached the moon."

"The moon!" the yellow-green Gargoyle with the bat wings exclaimed. "What do you mean?"

"All in good time," Demona said. "For now what you need to know is that the castle is still your home and Xanatos is your friend. He will help you learn what you need to know. We will help you."

"Demona," Goliath began slowly, "how have you survived so many centuries?"

She did not immediately answer. A hardness swept over her face, the same hardness that Goliath had seen so many times before, always when they discussed humans. "I..." she began, but stopped, glancing at the group who were staring so eagerly at her and Goliath. Her face shifted to a softer smile, one that emoted a mixture of pity and love, as if she wished to protect these poor creatures from something they could not yet grasp. "All your questions will be answered in time. But you must be patient. There..." She suddenly stopped. She was alarmed.

"What is it?" Goliath asked.

She did not reply. In the stillness, they each became aware of a noise that they could not explain. It was a thumping, vaguely reminiscent of a flag or banner flapping in the breeze, but much quicker. It grew steadily louder, closer. Then, suddenly, it sounded as if the noise was right on top of them. Just as Goliath was about to yell out to Demona a red flash streaked by her and struck the wall. An explosion sent bits of stone flying and the Gargoyles sprawling backward onto the ground.