Chapter 3

The first meeting of the Drama Club consisted mostly of introductions and making a schedule for the rest of the year. Since we wanted to perform a whole play, time management is accentual. Even though Kit knew most of the students there from observing her brothers socialising, but she had never talked to them before.

Esme Squalor, Lemony's girlfriend, was a self-absorbed girl with blonde hair and a sweet smile that could possibly conceal a more sinister side of her. She always loved acting and was determined to play Lady Macbeth.

Bertrand Baudelaire, a friend of Jacques, was a more reserved person than Kit expected and a good listener. There were a few other people in our club, but I don't remember their names since they are not important to the tale.

After the meeting, Beatrice and Kit were walking towards the girl's dorm.

"It wasn't as bad as expected.", Kit admitted to her friend. Beatrice smiled.

"What do think of the group?", she then asked, curious about her opinion. The two friends often had different views on matters, which made it so much more interesting for them to talk to each other.

"Well, you know what I know about Esme and Jacques, but Bertrand seems very nice and I'm not sure what to think about Olaf yet.", Beatrice said.

While Kit was her best friend and Lemony might be her second best friend, she did not like Jacques quite as much as the others Snickets. She found him irritating and nearly as arrogant as she did Esme. While two girls were glad that Lemony was happy with Esme, both also disliked her. They would never say that to his face though, but I think he knew from the way they tended to look at her.

You may ask yourself why Kit and Beatrice didn't talk about me, since I was attending the same meeting as they had. The sad truth is that my information about this and many other intimate conversations between the girls is unreliable. Even after extensive research I can only speculate what they were talking about.

Nevertheless, when Lemony Snicket announced that the next meeting would decide who would play which role in 'Macbeth', all member of the Drama Club were looking forward to this session, even Kit.