Chapter 4

In the short break between classes and clubs, Kit was sitting on the ground outside the theatre together with Jacques. Lemony and Beatrice, who were both chairmen on the school committee, seemed to run late. I, on the other hand, was already there, which is the reason I can recollect this conversation so accurately.

"Why are you here?", Jacques asked his little sister.

"To practice public speaking.", she answered, trying to sound truthful. This didn't work as Jacques cocky smile and small laugh suggested.

"Let me give you an advise: If Beatrice really likes Lemony more than you, she wouldn't be hanging out with you so much. This will not change with this club, but if it does, she wouldn't be good enough for you anyway.", he said.

Kit nodded even though she didn't totally believe him. Moments later other club members arrived, one of them being Esme, dressed in a ridiculous outfit as always. She thought it was 'in', while most students believe that it was slightly comical.

"Nice outfit", Jacques said, " Where did you find that? The dumpster?" While he then laughed at his own comment, a few girls of the Drama Club were also giggling at the joke, which objectively wasn't very funny.

Kit knew that any girl, and also some boys, in the school either had a crush on Lemony or Jacques... or both.

I have to admit that I also wasn't immune to their charm, but I could hide it well enough to avoid Kit disliking me because of it.

Esme simply ignored Jacques' comment, unlocking the theatre with a key she most likely got from Lemony, entering our training place as the first of the group.

After waiting for a few minutes, Lemony and Beatrice arrived, and starting the casting for the major roles in 'Macbeth'. For the role of Macbeth himself everyone came to the silent consensus that Lemony would be perfect for the role. When it came to Lady Macbeth though, there were two options of either Esme and Beatrice. Their casting performances were both good, so the other actors were discussing who might be better for the role.

After Esme making a lot of drama since she decided for herself to be perfect for the role, Beatrice said she would love to play one of the three witches, together with Kit. This made Kit anxious since the witches have more dialogue than she would be comfortable with. But on the other hand, only being on stage with her best friend was a nice thought. So they both were casted for the witches, together with me of all people.

Having only mild talents of acting, I was always chosen for the secondary roles, but still managed to have lines to speak every year. Olaf got the role of Banquo, while Jacques was made to play King Duncan. The other roles were staffed by the rest of the members. With the whole play in hand, the session ended and Kit decided to head to the library alone to study for classes.