Chapter 10

While I don't know what exactly Lemony said to both Esme and Beatrice, but the girls didn't seem too happy, but also not devastated.

Kit was going to class as she met Beatrice for the first time after the unfortunate situation. Kit smiled at her friend, making sure she knew that she wasn't angry at her anymore. They sat down next to each other like always and talked like usual. The troubles of the last day was already behind them. Kit had never been good at holding a grudge.

After school, Beatrice had to attend choir practice, so Kit was sitting in the common room alone, reading as a book, as Olaf sat down next to her, with the Morse Code book and a new piece of paper in his hands. Until this moment, Kit had totally forgot about the scavenger hunt.

"I checked all the signs on our list and actually found another message at one of principal's signs.", he explained and gave her the paper with the code on: ..-. --- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / - .... . / ... .. --. -. ... .-.-.- / - .... ..- .-. ... -.. .- -.-- --..-- / .---- .--. -- .-.-.-

"What does it say?", Kit asked with excitement in her eyes.

Olaf grinned as he read: "Follow the signs. Thursday, 1 pm."

"So we will see what this all is about tomorrow.", she said.

"I hope so.", he answered, smiling at her.

After that they first started talking about themselves and not about the hunt. Talking to Olaf was unusually easy for Kit. He could talk hours without her getting bored of his voice. She also talked more than she usually did which anyone who wasn't Beatrice. Kit couldn't quite explain why, but she felt like she could be herself around him.

After leaving the common room together and eating in the servery, the two said good night, promising to meet infront of the principal's office tomorrow.

The next day was a strange one. I had heard people talking about strange messages around the school and overheard someone saying that they were going to the principal's office at 1 pm. So I was there, hiding in a broom closet with the door open a little so I can look at the principal's door, and so I saw as the small group of people accumulating without them noticing me.

Olaf and Kit were early, Bernhardt followed and then Jacques and Lemony arrived and they all started speculating what this hunt could be about. All of them had pieces of paper in their hands.

I didn't have these papers and therefore I didn't go to talk to them. I would have felt like a fraud since I didn't go through the hunt.

At exactly 1 pm the door of the principal's office and our headmaster Ishmael stepped out, asking the five students into his office. As the door shuts behind them, I wished I would have just pretended like I had found the messages and would now be in the office like the others.