Chapter 12

The next months nothing noteworthy happened in the Prufrock Preparatory School. I went to the VFD meetings together with Jaques, Kit, Beatrice, Lemony and Bertrand. Esme and a few others joined the secret club a little while after I did. Principal Ishmael started teaching us things we didn't learn in any other lessons: secret codes, combat training, problem-solving, disguises and much more.

At the same time, the Drama Club was practicing "Macbeth". All students quickly knew their lines, but the acting had to be trained a lot. Kit had some difficulties looking at the audience while saying her dialogue, Esme was over-acting and Jacques was not playing a character, but himself. Lemony and Olaf were the acting experts and so they taught the rest.
After school, Olaf and Kit met regularly to practice acting and so became good friends. Sometimes they even met just to chill and talk about anything.

At the dress rehearsal, everyone was nervous. Even though only the principal and a few teachers watched, the applause at the end was louder than expected. Now it was only one day until the premiere of the play. After the dress rehearsal, some students decided to stay in the theatre, doing some last-minute dialogue learning and chatting.

Kit might have thought Olaf was an awesome person, but I always thought he was hiding something. Just like Esme, who behind her fancy outfits and sweet smile could be extremely mean, I believed Olaf was not as charming as he pretended to be. Of course, I never told anyone my thoughts about him.

Hours before the premiere Kit was getting anxious. She didn't want to say a line wrong and ruin everything, which was why she was walking with the script along the corridors, whispering the dialogue to herself over and over again. When it was time to meet in the theatre and get everything ready for the big performance, Kit regretted ever saying 'yes' to starring in a play. Lemony and Olaf were decorating the stage for the first act, Beatrice and Esme were putting programs on every chair and Bertrand was checking that all props were on their places.

I was looking at the lighting system in the theatre, making sure the student responsible for them knew that he was supposed to do.
After a while, the first guests arrived and Lemony demanded us to stay behind the stage and start getting into the costumes and make-up. When I peeked through the stage curtain, I was surprised to see that the theatre was full with students and even some parents.

"Lemony say we shouldn't peak.", Jacques said as he saw what I was doing.

Over the course of the Drama Club and the VFD meetings I had gotten to know him a bit better and realized he might not be as self-absorbed and arrogant as I thought he was.

"Well," I answered with a grin, "then let's make sure your brother doesn't find out."

The ending applause was so loud that we took several bows and smiled over our whole faces. Kit couldn't believe she managed to get through this without dying and she even had to admit to herself that she actually enjoyed this experience.

After all the guests left, the Drama Club had an aftershow party where they played music and danced on stage, laughing and having a great time. Kit wasn't a great dancer, but Beatrice persuaded her to dance to a few songs. She liked to see her friends having so much fun and letting all of their worries aside for a few hours.

After being exhausted, Kit took a seat on a chair, observing the scene. Not long after Olaf took a seat next to her.

"You had a really great performance today.", he said. She should that he was proud of her.

"Thanks.", she answered with a shy smile on her face.

Not soon after they started meeting regularly, Kit noticed quickly that she was developing a crush on Olaf. Not really knowing what to do, she simply ignored it. But in moments like these, she couldn't help but blush.

Without any sweet talking, Olaf asked Kit something he wanted to for a while now.

"Prom is in a few weeks and I was wondering if you wanted to go there with me?", he said with his usual charm, but Kit could hear that he was nervous.

"I would love to.", she replied sweetly and made Olaf smile widely.