Chapter 9

Even though it was pretty late, Jacques made his way to Kit's room as soon as he heard his siblings needed help. They had never being especially close. While Lemony was far too self-righteous for his taste, Kit had always been too young for Jacques to really talk to her.

But maybe he miscalculated her, he thought, as she explained the situation to him. He hadn't properly talked to his little sister for years, in which he hadn't noticed her growing up into an intelligent and capable human being.

And his brother, who he had always perceived as perfect, didn't seem like that at all as he was sitting on Kit's bed, his head in his hands, not talking.

After listening to the whole story, Jacques sighed and began thinking. Until then he hadn't really noticed that before now he had been the only one who had gotten into relationship drama. He, other than Lemony, had always beem well aware that most girls had a crush on at least one of the Snicket brother and so sometimes had the problem of choosing his girlfriend at any certain time.

"Well,", he started talking, "you need to ask yourself a certain question: How do you see yourself with on your prom pictures?"

"I have never heard something more stupid than that!", Lemony shouted, standing up aggressively. At that moment Kit noticed that his brother might be bottling up his emotions just as much as she did. After all, the Snickets siblings might be similar than they might have thought.

"I know that it sounds dumb, but just do what I say for once. Who do you see yourself with? The one person that pops into your head first is the one you should go with.", Jacques argued back.
While Lemony was taking a step back and finally thought about the question, Kit couldn't help but do the same for a moment.

"I think,", Lemony finally said, "I see myself without a date."

"What?", answered Jacques and Kit in synch.

"I see myself as the representative of the school government and organization of the prom. I see myself holding a perfect speech and announcing the prom king and queen.", Lemony continued with his eyes shut.

Jacques and Kit were looking at each other in disbelief.

"Okay.", Jacques said, " So you should break up with Esme, but only after telling Beatrice that you don't want to be with her. Otherwise Esme will think you broke up with her to get together with someone else."

"I'll do all of that tomorrow morning.", Lemony said, feeling a lot better now after having made up his mind.

After letting her brothers out of her room and watching them walk down the long corridor together, Kit sat down, wondering how would have predicted Lemony's decision and again thinking about who she imagined herself going to prom with.