TWELVE

Katherine paced back and forth next to Liam, anxiously chewing on the skin around her nails.

As soon as she'd gotten to school that morning after being dropped off by Liam's mom on her way to work, she was immediately bombarded by Lydia, Scott and her brother at the front door. After Liam had gone off to find Mason, the three of them filled her in on everything she'd missed the previous night.

How Tracy Stewart had killed someone.

How Donovan Donati was in the van she attacked.

How Stiles suspected Theo.

For some reason that didn't really surprise her.

Liam set his hands on her shoulders as she passed him, forcing her to stand still. Katherine glared up at him, ignoring the butterflies that exploded in her stomach, and continued chewing on the side of her finger.

"Tracy wasn't just having troubles sleeping," Lydia sighed, pursing her lips as she shared everything she knew. "It was a real disorder, it was night terrors."

"Well, now she's the night terror," Stiles grumbled from where he stood next to Malia, making dramatic gestures with his hands. "Especially since nobody can find her."

Scott sighed. "Okay look, I know were all tired and miserable..." he looked over to the side and gave Mason — who was grinning widely at them all like an idiot — a strange look. "...Except for you."

Mason jumped, suddenly realising everyone was looking at him. "Oh, I'm—I'm sorry, this is all just...mind-blowing." Katherine and Liam both grimaced, looking away. "You're a Kitsune," Mason continued, gesturing to Kira with a small smile on his face. "I don't even know what that is."

"I'm still learning," Kira shrugged awkwardly.

"Liam," Stiles cut in sounding thoroughly unimpressed. "We said you could tell him; not invite him to the inner circle."

Mason let out a small gasp. "I'm in the inner circle?"

"No," Liam and Stiles both grumbled in sync.

"Guys," Scott cut in, holding his arms out. "Back to Tracy. She's just one lone wolf. We can find her."

"One lone serial-killing wolf," Malia corrected bluntly, her brows furrowing with a small frown.

"Uh, she only killed one person, you know," Stiles shook his head lightly, the corners of his lips pulled in. "The other two were mauled."

"Not the point, dipshit," Katherine muttered as she ran a hand through her hair.

He reached over and gave her a light flick on the tip of her nose. "Watch your language." After hearing a quiet grumble, Stiles continued on with his point. "What are we going to do when we catch her?"

"I say we put her down," Malia suggested carefully.

The group shared looks as they thought about it, Katherine shifting uneasily from one foot to the other while she stood in place. She didn't want any more blood on her hands. But it didn't seem like they had another choice.

After a short moment, the silence was broken.

"Intense," Mason nodded slowly.

"Guys, lets just concentrate on catching her first," Scott sighed. "We'll figure out the rest later."

"We're gonna have to," Katherine muttered. "Class starts in two minutes."

•••

Katherine had been sitting through her History class, grumbling quietly under her breath, and was doing everything in her power to stay awake.

Seeing as Lydia had taken it upon herself to teach Katherine all of the tenth grade math and history curriculum through their skype calls over the summer, she already knew everything.