TWENTY TWO

Katherine had never been to a club so many times in under a week before in her life.

When Liam had texted her an hour and a half after he'd walked her home from school, asking if she wanted to come with to give Hayden another portion of the cash he owed her, she'd agreed. She'd changed out of pyjamas — she always put them on as early in the day as she could — and into a loose red velvety dress then slid on a cute pair of heels she'd stolen from Lydia not long ago and said she'd meet him at the end of her street.

Since Sinema wasn't too far away they just walked, chatting easily about new movies they wanted to see or when they should go out and get ice cream again. The fact that the conversation flowed so easily and she didn't have to fill in the awkward spaces with sarcastic comments was one of the main reasons she liked Liam so much; being with him was easy.

Then she'd stood back as he gave her the money and she explained why she needed it to the both of them — transplant medication for a kidney replacement surgery she'd had two years earlier — then had to watched as he stood mere centimeters away from her and asked her to close her eyes. At first her chest had hurt at the action, thinking she knew where it was going, only to watch as he pulled a glowstick off of her plate and hold it up in line with her eyes.

Then, Katherine noticed the strange silver substance that replaced her iris and pupil when she opened them again.

Of course, Hayden had thought she knew where the situation was going too and was reasonably upset when she noticed what he was doing, and had rushed out the back door of Sinema. Which, Katherine felt, was a fair response. Then, he made the poor decision to tell her everything.

Everything.

And she didn't take it nearly as well as Mason had.

"Hayden!" Liam groaned, clearly having come to the conclusion that what he did was weird and, frankly, a little creepy. "Hayden wait!"

"Asking me to close my eyes was weird," Hayden snapped without even turning around as she moved even more quickly to her car, which she'd parked behind the club upon her arrival. "But holding a glowstick to my face? Even weirder, Liam. But werewolves and...and Dead Doctors?"

"Dread Doctors, actually," Katherine corrected awkwardly, pulling her infamous shut up I don't know face when Liam looked at her. "It's Dread...Doctors...yeah. Sorry."

"Whatever," Hayden scoffed. "Get away form me; both of you."

"What if I could prove it to you," Liam panicked, and Katherine's eyes widened.

"Liam if you're about to do what I think you're going to do, I'm going to have to kill you, I swear to god," she groaned, slapping a hand to her forehead in order to keep the eye liner she'd spent an hour perfecting from smudging.

Hayden paused, her car door now open. "Prove what?"

Liam inhaled nervously. "This." He closed his eyes, and Katherine took a step forwards to pull him away, but he'd revealed his golden irises and fangs before she had the chance. Then he proceeded to growl in Haydens face.

Immediately she screamed, which Katherine also felt was fair, and then punched him in the nose hard enough to cause him to spin slightly.

"Oh shit!" Katherine yelped, raising her hands. "Nice shot!" She then realized that wasn't a remotely helpful comment when she heard Haydens car start before she drove away. "She set her hands on her hips and stared at it's retreating shape. "Well, fu—"

"—Katherine."

"I'm sorry," she huffed, swiveling carefully on the toe of her heel. "But it isn't my fault that you're a serious dumbass."