Research and Development

Once I get this chapter finished I may go quiet for a while, not because I am stopping, but because I will be planning, writing, and revising whole chapters rather than incomplete chunks.

It had been several months since the last sign of Decepticon activity, which was odd because even when the Decepticons went into hiding before, they would have to search for energon and usually blew their cover with radio chatter. ::They must have figured out the frequency we tapped into and disabled it:: Arcee fumed. Ratchet was anxious "How could they have possibly figured it out, without you?" he gestured to Soundwave "I am not sure, it could be a fluke a coincidence. But if Megatron has already found a replacement, this could be very bad for us" 

"Whatever the case may be, it is now imperative that we complete the systems upgrade," Optimus said without looking up from the console. Frenzy tapped on the railing to get the bigger bot's attention "Uh so how big is this upgrade? How much more can it do?" Ratchet was taken aback, the twins had not spoken for almost two hours, a new record. He was about to reply but heard a soft ripping sound, he looked to the human's living area and saw Rumble sat there picking apart a blank notebook, Ratchet vented in exasperation, at least it wasn't his tools. 

"Well?" Frenzy was quickly growing impatient, Ratchet was struggling to think of a response in terms the small bot would understand, Soundwave stepped in and held up his hand "Let me handle this" he felt genuine curiosity through the bond rather than the boredom that came with idle talk. "The upgrade will let us see farther and more clearly, it will be easier to find energon and we are hoping that we will be able to tap into Decepticon comms, it is very important so that we will be prepared if Megatron attacks" 

Frenzy thought for a moment, clearly weighing the value of this project against his and Rumble's destructive habits until he came to a decision, he then smiled,  Soundwave felt a pulse of understanding-gratitude-happiness through the bond. "Sounds like a plan, a plan that mustn't be delayed" he looked over his shoulder at Rumble "We'll try and keep out of your way, no promises though" 

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"I have finished programming the frequency limiters and the rangefinder" Optimus stated, "Very well, now then, we have the power necessary to jumpstart the system, unfortunately, we lack the hardware strong enough to handle the initial power surge," Ratchet said with a huff. This time Rumble spoke up "Well that's a bit of an oversight isn't it" Ratchet frowned "Oh hush"

Soundwave's optics gleamed as if a lightbulb had gone off in his head "I may be able to help with that" he turned around so that they could see his hunched back, then a jagged panel rose up from the flush surface, tilting vertically before it started spinning. Ratchet chuckled "You sure are full of surprises" Soundwave turned back around to face them and smiled "I forgot I had this, the last time it was used was when we were searching for Skyquake," the smile on his face faded to anger "It also incidentally found Megatron's life signal in orbit after the space bridge explosion, the dark energon keeping him alive, I should have let Starscream finish the job." 

Optimus frowned "You mustn't blame yourself for something that happened so long ago, especially when you couldn't have known better." Soundwave said nothing, it was quiet for a few moments until Ratchet let out a huff "Well now we have an idea of how powerful the equipment is, let's see if we can patch it into the system" Soundwave deployed his feeler arms and brought them up to the console, Ratchet flinched "Ep ep ep ep, that won't work, not unless they can stretch to the roof and through several doors. Besides, the power surge may damage your nervous system, I plan to bypass that by connecting directly to the dish," he held up some cables and began walking towards the lift "let's begin"

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Ratchet had just finished attaching the cables to Soundwave's back when he got a call from Arcee "Ratchet? Bulkhead and I just got back from patrol, Where are you?" ::Topside, I just finished connecting the dish:: "you found one? that's great news" ::Well I didn't find it per se:: Soundwave then joined the conversation ::I volunteered to help, I have an inbuilt long-range scanner, it should work::