It's time

Hope you're all having a great week, darlings. I finally managed to not miss my update schedule (which I'm very happy for), so I'll let you guys enjoy this new chapter. Remember to stay healthy, because in my country alone the flu has killed over 30 people these past couple of months. So please remember to take good care of yourselves and try to avoid places with large crowds of people. Hope to hear you're all doing well~ ( ˘ ³˘)❤

◊≈☼≈◊

With a loud gasp, her eyes flew open and she stared in confusion at the unfamiliar ceiling above. What...? Where was she? The sound of shuffling next to her drew her gaze, and relief washed over her so suddenly that tears flooded her eyes.

"I really did make it..."

Seated next to her, Reksa now leaned down to kiss her forehead whilst stroking her hair.

"Shh..." he whispered. "You're safe now."

Helping her sit up when she gave a sign that she wanted to, he still frowned at how she winced in pain.

"I didn't think I would make it here..." she sighed. "I didn't even know it was possible for a human to run such a long way without pause."

"What happened?"

He hated having to bring up bad memories, but it was imperative that they knew what had gone on back in Loma.

"It was a trap... they didn't go to the village; they came for the shelter first. Tamara and I managed to get back and warn Mitra, but by the time they rallied it was a slaughter..."

Her eyes again filled with tears, a horrified shade coming to her gaze as she recalled the grotesque scenes.

"So many... so many died..." she whispered. "Mitra and the others managed to push them back to give the survivors a chance to retreat deeper into the mountains. But they won't last long, they're outnumbered."

"What about the others? Tamara... Sukma...?"

"They managed to get away with Asih and took the triplets with them."

When she covered her mouth to muffle a sob, he finally reached out and brought the young woman to his chest. He had never wanted her to witness the horrors of war, but now all he had left to do was offer whatever comfort he could.

"Why didn't you go with them?"

"I got trapped at the edge of the village; I was lucky Mitra saw me and got me out of their hands. But someone had to come here, and he couldn't spare any one of his warriors. There was no one else who could come and ask for help."

Yet when she looked up at him her heart sank at the expression on his face, as a crushing revelation dawned upon her.

"They're not going to help... are they?" she whispered.

Clenching his jaw in ire, he felt like the worst monster when he had to shake his head and see the hope flicker out of her gaze.

"Wh-... why?" she mumbled, the word mixed with a whimper that crushed his very soul.

"My father and the elders have decided to keep our village a secret."

The words felt like ash in his mouth, his tongue as heavy as a rock; wordlessly comforting her when she broke down in his arms, he held her tightly and bit into his tongue when her sobs threatened to draw out his own tears. Her pain was now his pain, and yet he had to be strong enough for both of them.

"How long was I out?" she finally asked, once Reksa had managed to calm her down.

"You got here yesterday just before sunset... it's almost dawn out."