Chapter 5

David stretched his hands and again took hold of his motorcycle's throttle

David stretched his hands and again took hold of his motorcycle's throttle. The sun was already high and he needed to reach Bokod before the Saturday fellowship began. It has been a long time since he last visited, and the incitement he felt to be able to see the congregants in there again ignited him to speed up.

As he reached a curve, another motorcycle speeding up behind him caught his attention, making him look closer to the side mirror. The driver sounded his motorcycle's horn as if calling David's attention. With much curiosity, David slowed down and drove to the side of the road to see what this driver needed, and to his surprise, it wasn't just a driver. It was Greg, a fellow pastor.

"Hey, Pastor what's going on? I thought you guys are staying in the main church?" David inquired, removing the helmet from his head.

"Yeah that was the original plan Pastor, but then Pastor Henry informed us that our outreach church in Mountain Province needs you for tomorrow. You were the one scheduled in there originally, it was just that there was a conflict in schedule. No one would be preaching there this Sunday if you won't be able to go." Pastor Greg informed, to which David felt a bit confused.

"Ah, really? How come there had been a conflict in the schedule?"

"There was a mistake the last time we had a meeting. What Rhea announced was the schedule last month, she misplaced the schedule for this month and was only found by Pastor Henry this morning. So as soon as he saw it, he tasked me to go to Bokod and he told me to inform you that you're for Mountain Province tomorrow." David nodded as he listened to Greg explain.

"Aye pay, good thing Pastor Henry found that schedule. If he hadn't then no one would be delivering the message for tomorrow in Mountain Province." David remarked, shaking his head.

"Indeed, Pastor. Especially now that Pastor Nestor was invited as the speaker for the church anniversary of our outreach church in Kapangan tomorrow. My, somebody should be trained in that Outreach Church of ours. So that in times like this there'd be someone to take charge."

"You're right Pastor." David sighed, "Well! Better get going then. It looks like I have another three hours to go since its Mountain Province I'll be going to." Pastor Greg smile and slid his helmet back on.

"Alrightie, Pastor! Take care!" Greg exclaimed and excited his motorcycle, David quickly followed behind him until they separated ways in order to get to each one's assignment. Mountain Province was much farther than Bokod. Bokod was only two hours away from the city while Mountain Province was six hours away. With this, David shifted himself and increased his speed, the wind blowing furiously against his body as the motorcycle advanced.

"Ah, if this is the case, I'll be enjoying a long ride." David sighed, "Much longer than I expected." He added and drove on.

Four hours on the motorcycle, a few stopovers along the way and David finally saw signs of Kin-iway, he drove his way to Payeo, where the church was, and as soon as he was able to park the motorcycle, he excited for the church's entrance

Four hours on the motorcycle, a few stopovers along the way and David finally saw signs of Kin-iway, he drove his way to Payeo, where the church was, and as soon as he was able to park the motorcycle, he excited for the church's entrance. The faint sound of music and singing intensified as he approached.

"Hi, Pastor!" Gina, one of the youth leaders, greeted as she saw David enter the sanctuary.

"Hello, Sister. How's everything so far?"

"Ah, everything's doing fine Pastor. We had just finished worship practice, actually." David nodded in acknowledgment and took a seat on the wooden pews. The interior design of this church never seemed to fail in fascinating him. The shining wooden floors, the carpeted altar, and the ethnic curtains that adorned the windows and other pieces of furniture complemented the bright wooden colors of the sanctuary.

"Oh, great! So, shall we have a short worship and soaking before we go?" David suggested, to which he saw a bright smile form on Gina's lips.

"Sure, we should Pastor! Hold on I'll call the worship team." Gina went to the platform and called for the others, leaving David in the pews. David began to pray in his mind and met them with a smile as the youth one by one approached.

"What's up, Pastor?" Jake greeted and lifted his hands to David for a high five. David chuckled and met his palm, "I haven't seen you in while! Praise God you are assigned here again today!" Jake continued.

"Yes, Indeed Jake! Well, how about you guys, how have you been?" David asked, watching Jake sit beside him on the pews.

"We've been doing well Pastor, praise God. Its Pastor Levi that we're worried about, he seems to get weaker and weaker as days go by. We don't know if it is because of his old age, or..." David listened intently as Jake recanted the past events that had been happening. Indeed, what Pastor Henry told him a few days ago was all true.

Animism was still a very strong practice in some parts of Mountain Province, and the older generations that had been practicing it all their lives, of course, find it hard to embrace the good news that was being spread. Instead, some devoted animists persecuted the Christian younger ones, and other extreme animists even try to physically attack the Christians in churches, in the name of Culture Preservation.

David upheld his rich culture, he never denied it, nor was ashamed of his Igorot heritage. But he also knew that some part of his culture was the practice of idolatry and that he knew was not something to be continually upheld and practiced.

Tribal attacks were getting worse, and to top it all up, one of the Pastors in this church was terribly sick. What would happen if Pastor Levi gets called by the good Lord to return in heaven, already? The question plagued David's mind, this would be a big loss in the church. Considering that workers are really lacking.

"Aye pay," David sighed. "Well, let's continue to pray for him. I'm sure, these are just trials." David said. "No matter what the enemy throws at us brothers and sisters, let us continue to hold on to Romans 8:37 says," David looked at each of them as he spoke. "We are more than conquerors through Jesus that loved us."

"Amen..." The group replied in unison. Jake began to play the guitar and the worship leader led them into a song. They all joined in the singing, each one desiring to feel the Presence of the Lord.

No matter what happens Lord, we trust You...

About an hour passed and the worship-soaking was finished, David looked over his phone and found out it was already four pm.

"Sister Gina, I think it's time for me to get going now," David informed, making Gina turn to his direction.

"Oh, of course, Pastor. Won't you be staying downstairs in the Pastoral House?"

"Nah, I think I have to go visit my grandmother tonight." Gina nodded in assent.

"Oh, alright then Pastor. See you tomorrow!" David slightly bowed his head and went for the church's exit. As soon as he walked out, sunlight instantly met his skin, compelling him to fan himself due to the humid temperature.

He started his motorcycle and was soon met by the warm wind as soon as the motorcycle advanced.

I bet grandmother is going to be so surprised when she sees me. David thought.

Payeo- One of the barangays of Besao, south of Kin-iway

Bokod- One of the Municipalities of Benguet.