Chapter 9

"Come on Casey, get in the car!" Zarinna heard her Uncle call out from the driver's seat

"We're going to be late, Manang!" Elsa chimed in.

The young lady came running from the door as she heard her Father's voice, hanging her ID card upon her neck in haste.

"I'm sorry Daddy," Casey panted, "I forgot to put some of my things in my bag," She continued, swiftly jumping inside and closing the van. "Good morning, Manang 'Rinna!" Zarinna turned her head towards the back seat of the car as she heard her cousin greet.

"Good morning, dear..." She replied with a smile, looking appreciatively at the fair young girl behind her.

"So, are you ladies ready for your first day?" Dennis asked, shifting in his seat as the car roared to life. Zarinna cleared her throat as she heard the question, her heart again pacing faster as she thought of the event.

"Yeah!" Casey exclaimed, "I'm quite excited to know who my classmates are going to be."

"I do hope Sir Greg will be opening the Arts club this year," Elsa mumbled with her head lowered, "I really want to try it out."

Zarinna noticed her Uncle nod as he listened to his daughters, his lips curving to a smile as he advanced the vehicle. Zarinna chose to remain silent, refusing to speak of the nervousness that gripped her being.

Oh God, be with me today... She prayed, briefly shutting her eyes as she waited for peace to surge her heart.

Zarinna drew in a breath, turning her gaze towards the window as she prepared herself for the coming activities of the day.

It was a good fifteen-minute ride, and as soon as Zarinna saw the number of children wearing the same uniform she knew they have already arrived. She pulled her gaze towards her Uncle, taking in a breath as Dennis gave a nod of confirmation.

"C' mon ladies, get going now!" Dennis beckoned, smiling as Casey and Elsa slid the van open and began to walk out. Dennis's gaze darted towards Zarinna, her gaze lowered as she took each breath.

"Go on, Kaanakan. You will do great today." His voice sounded reassuring, and with this Zarinna lifted her gaze, flashing a smile of gratefulness towards her Uncle.

"Iyaman, Uncle..." Zarinna breathed, saying in Applai her word of thanks. She turned her attention to the car's door, taking in another breath before she stepped out.

"Bye, Daddy!" The two girls chorused, waving with smiles on their faces as the van drove away.

Zarinna turned her gaze towards the school, her vision now occupied with the green painted steel gate. Numerous kids went past her, some running and some occasionally taking glances as they passed. Must be wondering why there was a new face, Zarinna theorized.