Chapter 18

David frantically scattered his gaze around the area, his eyes in search of Zarinna's familiar form

David frantically scattered his gaze around the area, his eyes in search of Zarinna's familiar form. Where could she be? As much as he tried to resist, the apprehension he felt only intensified with each passing moment.

Why was he so concerned? He dropped his gaze to the ground. Had he ever worried for someone like this? He shook his head. Now was not the time to think of such. For all he knew, Zarinna could be in danger whilst he stood idle. Though not widely acknowledged, terrorist groups were known to scout the grounds of this land, and Zarinna being alone somewhere, the lady that she is, puts her in much peril. David prayed in his mind, calling out to God in hopes to calm his storm of emotions.

"Zarinna!" He called out, but the sound of wind caressing the trees filled his ears instead. He strode to another area, walking in haste as he probed each side of the path he passed by. He heard footsteps behind him.

"Any sign of her?" He heard Gina's voice. Turning around, the view of Gina along with Sir Luke occupied his perception.

"No," He breathed, "I see you've come, Sir Luke." He remarked, smiling slightly towards his fellow teacher.

"Yes, I heard Zarinna's gone missing. I've already alerted the others. They will help in searching."

David nodded as he listened to him speak, "That's great Sir," He tapped his shoulder and turned around. "For now let's split up. I'll take this direction." David strode away as he finished speaking, relieved that help from the other faculty is coming.

After what seemed like an eternity, David came to a halt. Worry and desperation cloaked him like the exhaustion that weighed upon his body. He closed his eyes, counting each breath as he sought peace amidst the turmoil.

"Father," He whispered, "Please... please help me find her."

With this, he unclasped his lids, advancing once more to another path. The path he took turned more downhill as he walked. He looked around the place, no sign of a person. As he was about to turn around, the sound of sobs came in contact with his ears. He peered over his shoulder, and as though responding to instinct, he approached the boulder before him, walking by its side till he reached the other side.

"Rinna?" He spoke, the view of a woman upon the ground occupying his vision. The woman lifted her gaze, her tear wet cheeks gleaming as light touched it. A sigh of relief found its way off his lips. She rose to her feet in a split of a second.

"Manung!" A silent gasp escaped his lips as he felt Zarinna's arms wrap around his neck. For a moment he couldn't move, struck wordless as he felt her warmth. He heard her ragged breathing from his side, the shuddering of her body evident against his.

"I thought no one would come," He heard her sob, "I thought... I thought..." her words were muffled in tears. Slowly, David lifted his arms, responding to her embrace as he began to speak.