Chapter Fourteen

"You two." Jonathan sternly started us down as soon as we got to the label, after being ordered to come to the office in the middle of the night.

Directly after getting off stage and after Xavier did his photo op, we didn't get to bask in the glory of success or run off together, we had a meeting. We both sighed and went into the office, Tyler an Rhonda on our heels. Flopping into the chairs, we waited.

"What did we do this time?" Xavier just jumped to the point.

"Nothing." Jonathan replied, staring us down. "Nothing except made the board so much money that they're throwing some of it back at us." He smiled.

"Look here, Jonathan." Tyler pointed at him. "We gon' need you to stop doing that crap. You make it seem like something bad happened, then come with good news and shit."

Jonathan laughed. "But it's so fun." He reached in his desk and grabbed two envelopes out. Coming around his desk, he handed Xavier and I the envelopes. "Your breakup and surprise performance skyrocketed both your streams. Streaming services have had an increase in playlist with both of you on it. And they want you two to put together separate and joint playlists to release for your fans. They're offering a pretty penny too." He explained while we opened the envelopes. Looking at the huge number on the check, I choked a little on my own spit. It was the biggest check I had gotten. I'd made the amount in the past, but never in one check.

"What's this for?" Xavier eyed Jonathan.

"A gift from the label." Jonathan replied.

"Uh-uh. There's no such thing as a gift in this business." I rolled my eyes, I let the envelope fall into my lap. "What are they expecting by giving this to us?"

"They just want to renegotiate your contracts. Both of you are close to the end and they want some assurances." Jonathan said as though it was no big deal, but I could tell from his posture that it was.

"Mhm." Rhonda pulled her phone out. "This wouldn't have anything to do with your main competitors calling to try to get Isis, would it?" She showed me the phone and I scrolled down through the messages from different record labels.

"Or them calling for X?" Tyler added.

Jonathan swallowed almost unnoticeably. "Maybe."

"Maybe my ass." I rolled my eyes. "The execs just want to finally put us under worthwhile contracts. When I first got here, they gave everybody else huge and long contracts, but they weren't so sure about the fat, black girl. Now I'm the only artist still producing from the group of artists they signed."

"The execs also claimed I wouldn't make it and have been on my ass ever since I signed on." Xavier added. "But I'm the only real rapper y'all got here. And I'm not just that. I'm a producer and a performer."

"Look, guys." Jonathan held up his hands in surrender. "I know the label has done a lot of up and backs with you, but you love us."

"True." I shrugged. "But I also love my very free contract. Remember? It's the one the label gave me when they thought I wasn't gonna make it. Now, it's a godsend and I don't plan on re-signing for anything less."

"And, as far as I'm concerned," Xavier looked over at me. "I follow her."

"Really?" I asked in a soft voice, a slight blush heating my skin.

"Really." He told me then turned his eyes to Jonathan. "The label wants me, then I better get the right contract or I walk. Independent artists are the new hot thing and I could see myself starting my own label." Oh yeah, he's getting some tonight, I thought as I looked at him. Xavier just leaned back in his seat, daring Jonathan to say the wrong thing. It was boss behavior and it was so damn sexy.