Past, Present, and Future

Gajeel POV

"My problem is that yer irritating me while I'm trying to work!" Just when I thought the bad memories were gone, she goes and turns up at my work.

"Let me make it up to you for helping me. Its the least I can do since things ended on a bad note on our dat- I mean get-together." she turned a slight shade of pink.

"Listen kid" I began.

I was going to tell her right then and there, that I was the asshole who took her most precious item. I couldn't keep up the lie anymore when she was looking at me with those eyes. I knew she and her friends would call the cops, and it would cause me to lose my job. There was little to no chance for Wendy to wake up so there wasn't really anything to lose. It was just too much of a reminder.

I took a deep breath. "Levy, I'm the one who-"

"I promise that I'll be out of your hair after. Just let me make it up to you tomorrow" she said cutting me off.

She was persistent. I knew she wouldn't change her mind.

I sighed.

She's a stubborn one I thought. I can last one more day.

"Well how are ya planning on doing that... shrimp." I emphasized her height. Maybe that would remind her of who she would be hanging out with.

She narrowed her eyes "Thats not going to work."

"I dunno, I think it will shrimp" I popped the P on the word.

She gritted her teeth, then turned it into a smile, clearly trying to control her emotions.

"So where would you like to go?" she forced out of her teeth

I chuckled.

I felt a little unmanly having her take me out somewhere, so I thought of a place that both of us would like.

"Theres a rock festival this week, that is featuring cover bands that perform stuff from the 80's. Since you like Queen and I like Queen..." I coughed

Her expression changed from irritated to shock. "Wow I'm surprised that you remembered!"

"S'no big deal" I rubbed the back of my head. She smiled, which caused my pulse to race a little.

"LESS CHAT MORE WASH!" a voice from the front of the restaurant yelled.

I quickly turned back to the unfinished dishes in the sink, trying to finish as quickly as possible "Eh! YES SIR!" I anxiously replied.

The little bluenette started to laugh, while covering her mouth.

How embarrassing. I felt my face get a little hot.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at noon, where do you live?" she asked.

That made me feel even more unmanly. No way was a chick going to pick me up.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow. Just cause yer taking me out doesn't mean I can't be a gentlemen."

I was shocked at my own words. I've never felt the urge to act a certain way towards women before. But somehow, some way, she was making me say things I would have never thought of saying in the past. She was making me feel things that I had never experienced before.

Maybe it was because seeing her made me feel guilty for everything else in my life. But if that was the case why do I get so nervous with her.

What the hell is going on with me?

She nodded "Okay. I live at Fairy Hills just behind the academy."

Of course she does I internally rolled my eyes.

"I'll see you then." she smiled.

"See Ya" I replied.

She turned to walk through the double doors. I heard the little bell on the entrance of the diner ring.

I took a deep breath and looked up towards the ceiling.

"Stop messing with my life, damn it!" I said to the imaginary god in the sky.

"Who are you talking to?" Igneel's said, coming from behind me.

I jumped into the air. "WHAT THE HELL!" I yelled, scared shitless. I fell on the floor catching the dish that flew from my hand. My heart felt like a drum pounding in my chest.

"Jesus christ" I breathed.

"In the little time I've known you I think that was the most emotion I've ever seen from you." he said quizzically.

"Whatever old man."

"Do you even know where fairy tail is?"

I stayed silent as I stood up.

"Wow your going get lost on your first date." he laughed.

"It's not a date! And how do you know whether it's my first?" I said slightly offended.

He lifted an eyebrow.

"Point taken" I replied.

"That is the definition of a date" he snickered. "She's a little ball of joy, something that you clearly need in your life, so don't go putting it out with your gloom."

"Okay DAD." I said jokingly.

Even though I did mean it as a joke, he did feel like a parent at times.

He put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm glad your putting yourself out there."

"It's only a one time thing. I won't be seeing her again after tomorrow."

"What do you mean? You can't do something like that to a nice girl like her!"

"A nice girl like her doesn't need someone like me mucking up her life. It's a one and done thing Igneel."

"Just keep an open mind Gajeel. Maybe you'll find out that she can handle your past"

I froze. "Don't think I have't noticed that tattoo on your arm. I know its gang related, but I also know that you've left that life seeing that your here working your ass off."

I didn't know whether to be scared or amazed that he was so observant.

"You don't know the things I did."

"It's not my place to judge a person on their past, all that matters is the person you are today."

His word were like a shock to my entire system. Partially because he pretty much saw through me clear as crystal, but mostly because he was the first person that actually gave me a little hope.

But I know he wouldn't say that if he knew what I did to Levy.

I thought about her piercing eyes and what they would look like if i had just told her. Maybe it was better that she didn't know. It would probably cause her more pain knowing that her friend was really a monster.