one

i sighed as i spun around in the spinny chair, watching the clock and waiting for it to hit 3 so that i can leave this shit place. i tapped a familiar beat against my desk and did anything to distract me from the time.

    this office job bored the hell out of me- the only plus to it was having my best friend, matty, working with me. though his desk was all the way on the other side of the room, that didn't stop him from coming over here and messing around with me.

    i felt hands fold over my face and someone ask,"guess who?"

    "obama? is that you?" i say, acting oblivious to the fact that i knew it was matty. he took his hands off my face and spun me around in the chair, before doing jazz hands and saying," it's matty!"

    i laugh slightly and roll my eyes playfully,"damn it, i really thought it was obama that time."i pouted.

    "maybe next time," he said, putting his hand to his chin in a thinking manner.

    "so, me and the blokes are having band rehearsal tonight and i was wondering if you would like to come? i mean, you always come," he said, leaning against my desk and looking down at me.

    matty was in a band called the 1975, and they were trying to make it big. matty had such big hopes and so did the other boys. so far they've managed to play in a few clubs and do small gigs all over manchester.

"when do i ever have plans?" i ask jokingly. he sits and ponders for a second before saying," never."

"what time is it?" i ask, picking up a pen and playing with it.

"mmm, should be 'round 7. george works very strange hours, unfortunately," i nod before hearing our  manager get onto matty about being over at my desk, again.

"see ya there." he said before winking and leaving me alone at my depressing desk.

truth be told, matty was the love of my life. i've known him for at least a few years, first meeting him when he pointed out my 80's horror film shirt i was wearing at a party. and we just clicked.

a few months later i realized i had feelings for matty- strong ones, might i add. but i knew he didn't feel the same- the countless girls i've seen him with and the utter attention he lacks to give me when he's with another girl gives me an answer.

so this is the way it is- my unrequited love for matty who doesn't seem to notice nor care.