two

arriving at george's small rented house, i saw all the lights on as i made my way up the sidewalk. i looked up to see a sky full of stars. george was lucky enough to live in a mid-rural area, enough to where he can still see the stars at night.

i opened the door, walking in to see adam and ross on the couch talking about some dumb shit while george was checking something on his drum set. matty was nowhere to be found. upon hearing the door shut, george looked up and smiled before walking over to me and giving me a hug. he quite literally had to bend down- seeing as he was a fucking giant.

    "matty went to have a fag in the back, and ross and adam are arguing over some telly show they've been watching. they're quite the charmers," he said, making me laugh and shake my head.

    i walked to the back, sliding the glass doors open to find matty leaving against the wall with his phone in one hand and a fag in the other.

    i knocked on the door before saying, "need some company?" he nodded me over as i joined him on the wall.

    "for fucks sake, george has the worst service out here. i can't get shit," he said, getting frustrated. i laughed lightly, taking the fag from him and placing it in my mouth before taking a drag. i exhaled and watched the smoke come out, watching it dissolve into the night.

    "can i have my fag back now please." matty said, as i handed it back to him. he muttered a sarcastic 'thanks' before turning back to his phone. he was in a mood.

    "matty, what's your deal." i said, getting annoyed by his attitude.

"it's nothing. drop it," he said, flicking his fag and watching the ash fall onto the grass. i sighed and turn my head to get a better look at him. his messy curls cascaded onto his forehead as his eyes dropped from the lack of sleep he's been getting.

    "we got offered a record deal," he mumbled after a few minutes. i smiled.

    "matty, that's great! i'm so proud of you," i said, trying to make eye contact. he still kept his head low.

    "that means we'll have to go away for a while," he mumbled again. i felt my smile falter a bit before putting on a brave face.

    "for how long?" i asked, feeling small. he sighed and put out his fag, finally turning to look at me.

    "could be weeks. could be months. they're not telling me much, said they'll tell me the details after." he said, a look of guilt spreading across his face.

    i wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him tightly. "matty, this is great. this is it- your big break. you can't pass this up," i said weakly, feeling him hug me back.

    "i don't want to leave you- i don't want you to be alone," he said. i closed my eyes and shook my head slightly.

    "you can't pass this up matty, especially if it's for me," i said. i let him go and looked him in the eye. "do the boys know yet?"

    "i planned on telling them tonight, seeing as the label contacted me first," he explained.

    i nodded and looked up at him again.

    "we should probably get inside- it's quite cold out here," he said, stretching his hand out for mind, which i took.