Hunter Exam Begins

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

Is it though?
Is one life time truely enough?
How does one 'do it right'?
Am I doing it right?
It certainly doesn't feel like I am.

Maybe one day I'll find the answer.
A meaning to life.
After all.. What does it even mean..
To be alive?

"Bell."
.
.
.

"Bell."

I snapped out of my daze, turning towards Chrollo.

"Hm?"

"What are you thinking about?" He asked softly, just as he always did. I smiled a little bit under my hood. His voice was always gentle and calming. I hummed and swung my legs back and forth over the concrete ledge.

"When I met you." I said. He glanced over for a brief moment. I turned away and looked ahead at the broken stained glass window. I admired it's worn paint and sharp edges.

"Who is it next?" He asked. My smile grew.

"Don't know yet~" I said in a little singsong voice. I hopped down from the ledge and started walking toward the exit. Some of the members watched me leave, others ignored my passing. Right before I exited, I turned and made an announcement. "Danchou, I'll be taking the hunter exam this year. Don't worry, I'll meet up with Hisoka there. I promise to be careful~" Then I vanished. I arrived in somesort of room, decending.

"Where are we, hisoka?" I asked, curious. He turned to look at me, not even a bit surprised. He smirked.

"Why, Bell-Chan~ what a pleasant surprise. We're already at the hunter exam site." He explained, tossing a card at me. I caught it and flipped it around in my fingers.

"Aw, I'm flattered." I cooed. It was a queen of hearts.

"Simply the truth dear. Why don't you put your hood down? Your face doesn't deserve to be covered." He said. I scoffed.

"You know I only bring it down for a few people." I replied. A ding resounded through the room and then a wall split and opened up to a basement. It was more like a huge cement tunnel that was lit.

"That's really too bad Bell-chan.. I'd love if you showed me one more time~" He sang, reaching towards my hood. I grabbed his wrist in a movement too fast for the naked eye. I gripped it with enough force to break his wrist, but was careful not too.

"Behave yourself Hisoka. Danchou would be so disappointed in me if you continued. Don't make me disappoint him." I whispered grimly. He disgustingly licked his lips and looked at me lustfully. What a filthy creature. I released his wrist and he withdrew it.

A spritely young man came over and handed us our respective pins, hisoka being #44 and me #45. I walked away from him, being annoyed. My hood is a part of my identity and purpose. I plan on killing hisoka one day, he lacks enough of my respect to lower my hood for him. I went in an opposite direction and leaned against the tunnel wall. I stood there with my arms crossed for a while before getting tired and bored. I slid down the wall and sat crisscrossed on the floor. I put up a nen barrier around me, and fell asleep.

I woke up to a soft ringing in my ears. I made no physical reaction to waking up. Someone had just entered my barrier. I set it up so that only pure minds could pass through. I stayed still, curious to know what this person would be doing if they had no ill intentions. They seemed fairly weak too. They didn't know anything of nen.

"Do you think she's actually sleeping?" A child's voice said. A child?

"Looks like it. It's best to leave her alone, gon. We don't want to start any unnecessary trouble." Another slightly older voice said.

"Grrrrr... Sleeping! She doesn't even take this seriously!" An even older and annoying voice shouted. That was enough.

"I don't think you even realize how seriously I take this." I said firmly. Before they could blink, I held one arm around the youngest boy, pressing his back to my chest. The other hand held hisoka's card flush against his neck. They couldn't see my face because of my hood, which I'm sure was even more intimidating. A blond and a brunette. They both got into fighting positions. Everyone around us tensed.

"Children." I huffed, disappointed. I was wasting my time. I relaxed my posture and let the boy go.

"Perhaps there is a lesson you can away from this. There are people in here who can and will kill you three in an instant. However, I am not one of them. Consider yourselves lucky." I said, easing my tone.

"Sugoi...." I heard. I looked at the little boy in surprise. I saw excitement in his eyes. Fear as well, but his will was stronger. "You're really strong, aren't you?" He asked, eyes wide. I nodded. He held his hand out, "I'm Gon. Its nice to meet you!" I shook my head in disbelief. What a fearless kid. I shook his hand with vigor.

"My friends call me Bell. It's nice to meet you Gon."

Maybe... This exam would be fun.