reason three: caring

Wednesday's were an important day for Jisoo.

Wednesday's were match days.

Jisoo had a very specific routine; Tuesday nights after practice had finished she would stay out on the field, running through her drills solo, practicing each of the runs until she could do them without thinking, until they came as naturally as breathing.

Only when she was heaving for breath and drenched in sweat would she go back to the flat where Chaeyoung would have food and a hot bath waiting. Once she'd allowed herself some time to soak the two sisters would cuddle up on the sofa and watch a movie.

Bend it Beckham was a popular choice before big games. It had always been and would always remain one of Jisoo's favourite movies.

This particular Tuesday was no different. Practice went ahead as normal and Jisoo had her alone time afterwards. Even Seulgi had kept her teasing to herself, she knew how important Jisoo's routine was to her.

Jisoo was determined to be even more focused than usual, because the match the following day was against their fiercest rivals. The rivalry went back for years, but was particularly potent this year as it was them that Jisoo's team had beaten the year before to win the state championship.

Tomorrow's game was a friendly, but to all playing, it might as well have been the state championship final again.

Chaeyoung seemed to sense Jisoo's determination, because her usual commentary of the movie was much more muted than usual, although Jisoo could tell she had something on her mind, her sister was fidgeting more than usual.

Finally, Jisoo couldn't take it any longer.

"What is it Chaeyoung?"

"Nothing," Chaeyoung responded immediately, wilting under the stern glance Jisoo sent her way, "I know you want to be in the zone before a game and I don't want to break your concentration."

Jisoo sighed, turning her attention away from the TV. "Stop it, you're about to fidget right off the sofa."

"I was just wondering if you had heard from Lisa." Chaeyoung blurted out after a moment's indecision. "I mean, you've not said much about it since you came home the other day soaking wet and I just wanted to know if everything was ok."

Jisoo had received one message from Lisa since the second reason on Monday. There had been no words, just a kissy face emoji sent on the Tuesday morning. No context, no follow-up, just an emoji.

Jisoo hadn't replied.

She told Chaeyoung as much, and received a thump on her arm for her trouble.

"Owww! What the hell was that for?"

"Why didn't you reply?!"

"What was I supposed to reply with?" Jisoo rubbed her arm.

"Anything! Another emoji, or something."

"I don't use emoji's." Jisoo sniffed, prompting Chaeyoung to roll her eyes.

"You use them with me."

"That's different, you bugged me with them every second of every day until I agreed to use them with you."

"You should throw Lisa a line." Chaeyoung's abrupt change of direction surprised Jisoo and for a moment.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean she's trying really hard to impress you."

Jisoo arched an eyebrow. "So far, she's almost broken my nose, and dropped a bucket of water on my head."