the beach party

The beach party was in full swing by the time Lisa and Yeri arrived. The air was thick with the smell of meat and fried onions. A loud hum of laughter and conversation stretched up and down the beach.

Lisa found it hard not to get swept up in the atmosphere, a smile wider than she would have anticipated that morning spreading across her face as Yeri pressed a solo cup into one hand and a burger fresh off the grill into the other.

They managed to secure a good spot on the beach, close enough to watch the action unfold, without being right in the middle of it all.

"Thank you for convincing me to come." Lisa broke the companionable silence they had been sitting in, shooting Yeri a smile.

Yeri nudged Lisa with her shoulder. "You're welcome, you'd have regretted it if you hadn't have come."

"Yeah." Lisa admitted with a sigh, taking a large swig of her drink, eyes scanning the crowd in front of her. She didn't know if she was relieved or disappointed that she could see no sign of Jisoo.

They ate their food and drank their first drinks in relative silence, commenting only briefly on what was happening around them. The beach was buzzing with activity, the BBQ was in full swing, filling the air with delicious smells. Close by a game of volleyball had been set up, the excited shrieks of the participants rising above the level of chatter that enveloped then.

People splashed about in the shallow water, and all around them people were just sitting as they were, enjoying the Saturday afternoon sun.

Lisa tried not to pay too much attention to the few lingering stares of people who passed her by, of the whispering between friends, tried not to catch the words that weren't said quite quiet enough.

"That's Lalisa Manoban, the girl who made that bet with Kim Jisoo. The one who got rejected."

"I can't believe she came."

"This must be so humiliating for her."

Sensing her change in mood, the tensing of her shoulders and the tightening of her jaw, Yeri scooted closer, arm draping round her shoulder and giving a comforting squeeze. Lisa didn't respond to the gesture other than to relax slightly into her embrace, keeping her eyes fixed on the cresting waves that crashed onto the shore.

"You want another?" she asked as she drained the dregs in her cup, barely waiting for Yeri's nod of affirmation she stood and plucked her cup from her hand. Lisa brushed off her attempts to come with her, reasoning that someone needed to stay and protect their seats.

The line for the drinks was long, but Lisa was content to wait, happy that in the denser crowd less people were looking at her face, all more preoccupied with all the other things going on.

She was about half way down the line when she spotted a familiar face in the crowd.

Seulgi grinned as she caught sight of Lisa, weaving effortlessly through the people between them to reach her.

For a moment Lisa wondered if she had time to walk away, after all Seulgi was Jisoo's best friend and right now she wanted to be as far away from someone connected to Jisoo as possible.

She was trapped in the queue however, and Seulgi was approaching too rapidly for Lisa to slip away under the guise of not having seen her.

"Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes." Seulgi chuckled as she stopped next to Lisa, at her confused look Seulgi gestured to her eye. "Sore eye? Black eye? Get it?"

Lisa's fingers flew unconsciously to the bruise that ringed her eye, the site still tender under her fingertips.

"You're so funny." She grumbled.