Sleep

J had fallen asleep on Cassidy's sofa, alone. She woke with Rayna sprawled out on the sofa opposite her, and Lee awkwardly curled in the arm chair next to her. A small smile ghosted over J's lips as she watched them. Even if they didn't need her anymore, she was still forever grateful for them.

Movement caught J's attention and she met Cassidy's warm gaze with one of her own. Cassidy jerked her head towards the coffee pot and then held up her mug for emphasis. J nodded, and sleepily rubbed her face.

Sitting up, she stretched waiting for the pain to ricochet down her spine, but despite her night spent on the sofa, she was relatively pain free. Her attention drifted to the small bottle on the table, Leah hadn't been joking about it knocking her out. She hadn't slept that well in ages.

She eased herself to her feet, grabbed the bottle and pocketed it, before she headed towards where Cassidy was holding out a steaming mug of coffee. She accepted it gladly and nodded a good morning. Wordlessly, Cassidy moved towards the back door and J followed.

The two she-alphas stood leaning against the railing on the decking, watching the forest as it came to life. J took a sip, savouring the bitter taste, whilst preying the caffeine gave her a bit of energy. Well rested, she might be, but it didn't mean that she wasn't still tired, bone-deep tired.

"I've been thinking, about the rogue wolf."

J, relieved Cassidy didn't want to dwell on the MSA or J's absence, turned to listen to her.

"I think-I think maybe it's something to do with Caine." Both she-alphas flinched at the mention of his name. Cassidy gave her a small, apologetic smile that didn't reach her eyes.

J thought over Cassidy's words for a moment, the rogue turned up years after Caine died. Surely it'd be nothing to do with him? "What do you mean?" She pressed, taking a sip of coffee and wincing as it burned.

Cassidy sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "I just...I don't know. Ever since Caine died, we've been fielding threats..."

J, as a human, growled.

"There was a little resistance to Jake and I mating. Jake's a powerful alpha, I was the alpha whose pack killed Caine...you know what politics are like. Or maybe you don't? Did you have much in the way of inter-pack politics in the mountains?" Cassidy asked with a lighthearted giggle.

J smiled, "oh yes. There were four packs in a 1000 mile radius. We were practically on top of each other!" She joked, enjoying the action. J felt lighter this morning, maybe due to the medication, but she had a feeling it was because she'd finally...talked.

"Yeh, well, it's a little tighter quarters here." J nodded.

"Anyway, a few of the packs near us got a little nervous. They thought that Jake was going to become a dictator and try to overthrow them all." J couldn't help but laugh at that.

"Have they met Jake?!"

Cassidy smiled up at her, as if to say 'I know right'.  "Yup. Well, it took a while to convince them that we weren't interested. I guess the fact that in the last two years we haven't attempted to murder any of them, must have helped. But, when we had Uma..I don't know...things changed again."

J was paying close attention now, her blood already rushing through her. If anyone...anyone had threatened Uma...

Cassidy didn't notice the change in J's stance and so kept talking, "again, the alpha's got antsy. The child of two powerful alphas...they now think Uma is going to take over the world," Cassidy threw her arms over her head for emphasis and some of her coffee sloshed over the edge of the mug. She cursed as she wiped her arm off on her jumper.

"They said that Uma should be sent to a different pack. Raised by a...how had they put it..."

J had gone deathly still.

"...by a...an unbiased guardian, I think they said. To protect her. Raise her to be an alpha, but away from our 'power'. We, of course, said no, and eventually, once they'd met Uma, they realised she was nothing like the nightmare child they'd envisioned."

J breathed for the first time since Cassidy had started talking.

"...but I have to wonder, if maybe the rogue is being drawn here because of us? Maybe it's attracted to the power? Jake said, that's what other packs are starting to say. They've borne the brunt of the rogue's attacks so far, but there's a clear path...it's heading for us."

J shook her head in anger, when she found the rogue...she'd....she'd....well, she'd probably be brutally murdered – but she'd make damn sure she took it down with her.

"You know, if they really had tried to make me send Uma away..."

J caught her breath.

"...I'd have sent her to you."

All the breath left J's body. She grabbed the railing to support herself, convinced that not just her lungs, but her entire body was deflating. It was like the world had shifted beneath her feet and suddenly, J didn't know which way was up.

"J? Oh God, J!"

J couldn't form a response as darkness claimed her.

*
A/N

This is part 1 in a 2 part because-it's-Friday bonus update!

There will be more in about 10 hours....