Absent

J sighed contentedly as Logan's hand traced absent circles on her spine. She turned her head until her left ear was buried into her folded arms, so that she could see Logan. She never wanted to look away from him again, not that she was going to tell him that. Not yet.

He looked tired, but a smile tugged at his lips as their eyes met. He was stretched out beside her, his long limbs dwarfing her. She was keenly aware of how naked he was, especially compared to her clothed body, even the silver cuffs had fallen to the ground when he'd transformed back into his human skin. His body looked different, so different to how she remembered. He'd lost muscle, weight and look malnourished. Where had he been all this time? What had he suffered? He sported a collection of new scars – ones that J knew all too well the pain that would have been created to make them so bad on a body that would heal so quickly. Anger and fear for her mate, nestled in J's chest.

She was so relieved to have him back, but was also hyper aware of the horrors he'd faced without her. Not that he was showing it, instead he laid there like he had no worries in the world – and all the time to spare – with one arm propping his head up, as he continued the sensual torture. His fingertips were rough as they slipped over her scars and tangled her t-shirt making her eyes flutter shut.

Torturous.

"You have a name."

Her eyes snapped open, "I do, Josephine," she said with a broad smile.

Logan's hand paused, his palm skimming her side and coming to a rest on the small of her back, "Josephine," she shuddered, his voice deep and etched with tiredness, it grazed over her. "Jos'," he continued, unaware of the effect his voice was having, "I like it." He murmured as he leant down towards her to plant a small kiss on her cheek. He began to nuzzle her neck, his nose and tongue skimming across her skin. J shuddered and rolled onto her side, pulling him towards her as he pushed her onto her back.

Hovering above her, Logan kissed her, gently at first but his actions becoming more insistent. His hands roamed as his lips broke from hers and continued a blazing trail down her neck, his tongue swiping possessively over his mate claim mark, making her arch her back. She wasn't even sure if he was aware of the growl emanating from his chest, or the claws that pin pricked her hips. His wolf was so near the surface – so near and so untamed.

As though sensing his thoughts, silver glowing eyes snapped up to J, his wolf in control of his human skin as he growled down at her. J was vaguely aware that a lesser person would be scared to have their mate above them growling like this, with the voice of a rabid wolf – but that would never be J. She'd take him anyway she could.

A knock on the door had his grip tightening on her and his growl rapidly turning into a warning snarl. J froze as the person knocked again, "Alpha?" A tentative voice called – Trevor.

Logan flinched above her as his gaze returned to her. She could see the conflict in his face – his wolf wanted to protect her, to kill whoever dared interrupt them, but the man – Logan – recognised his friend's voice.

"It's OK, Logan. It's just Trevor. It's your pack." She whispered, skimming her hands up and down the broad muscle across his back. He'd nestled himself between her jean-clad thighs, and she ran her leg across his. "It's OK. I promise," she soothed as she pulled him tighter to her and held on for dear life as she addressed the door, "we'll be out in a minute, Trevor. Just wait."

She heard his wolf whine in response. They could sense Logan then, that was good, that meant he was healing – slowly. J still couldn't quite believe that he'd done it. That he'd pulled his wolf back and gained control. His family's sickness and MSA mixed together were a deadly concoction. The fact that Logan hadn't gone completely rogue, that he'd been able to pull himself back from that edge...it was a testament to how strong her mate was. To his will for survival.

J hurt. Knowing he'd been so strong when she hadn't been able to return the favour, cut her deeply. He'd survived whatever horrors he'd been through only for J to sentence him to death. The second she died, his MSA would return. He'd either be sent rogue with madness (as was often the case with male wolves), or he'd lose the ability to shift just like J had, until eventually he'd grow too weak and would die. Living with the guilt - hell, dying with the guilt of knowing she was causing Logan's death...J could barely breathe with the thought of it

Logan's body relaxed beneath her hands as she continued the soothing circles until finally Logan's eyes softly settled on her.

"We need to go out and see everyone. Liam-" J's thoughts turned sour, she was torn between wanting to thank him for keeping Logan in one place long enough for her to bring him back, and killing him for chaining her mate up in a bunker and planning to kill him.

"Don't blame, Liam." Logan whispered, tracing a warm hand across her cheek, "I'd have probably done the same."

"No you wouldn't have," J countered automatically, before quickly realising that she had no idea what he'd have done in that situation – what she'd have done.

She knew that Logan saw the slow dawning on her face, but he knew her well enough not to comment on it. "Fine," she agreed begrudgingly, "but I have no interest in being near him. And if he gets too close to me, to you, or to anyone in the Black Oath pack, I will kill him."

Logan growled and planted a swift kiss on her lips, "so quick with the killing, Mate."

To J's surprise he stood up and held out his hand to her, she allowed him to drag her to her feet. His wolf was less prominent, maybe hearing Trevor's voice had helped ground him.

"Let's go see our pack."