Call

"Yo."

J cracked open one eye and blink past the afternoon sun until her gaze settled on Saf. "Hey."

Saf walked towards her and sat down beside her on the large rock by the river. It was warm from the sun, helping to alleviate some of the pain in J's leg. She let her eye close again as she heard Saf lay out and her breathing become even. They hadn't been there long when J heard footsteps from behind them. She didn't look, knowing that if it was danger, Saf would know.

"Hiya," Leah called as a shadow fell over J.

Blinking open heavy eyes, J gave her a small smile. Smiling back at her, Leah sat down, crossing her legs besides J's head, her fingers shredding a piece of grass.

"Looks like I'm late to the party," J didn't react to Kelsey's words, but the others greeted her as her footsteps neared them and she too sat down.

They sat in silence for a while, nothing but the sound of the water trickling past them for noise.

"Well, this is a familiar sight."

J chuckled lightly, unsurprised that although she'd gone for peace, somehow her entire old pack had turned up.

Cassidy walked forwards and shoved Saf's arm as she sat down next to her. "Hello again, Stranger." There was an element of anger to Cassidy's voice, but she was trying to be friendly.

J let her eyes slide close and listened to the sounds of her old pack murmuring around her. It reminded her of so many days spent like this, with these people – her family.

"I've asked Will to find my Grandmother."

All conversation died and J knew without looking that they were all staring at her. She drew in a deep breath but couldn't quite open her eyes yet.

"She might be dead. Probably is, but I figured I'd try. It'd be...nice...y'know...to find out what happened."

No one spoke for a few minutes. "Do you think she can help with your wolf?" Leah whispered.

J flinched and opened her eyes, blinking against the sun, "I-uh, I don't know. I guess I hadn't really thought about it. Maybe I had. I don't know. There isn't much that can be done, is there, really? I guess."

Leah nodded but didn't speak again.

"We'll help you. Anyway we can," Cassidy offered, ever the Alpha, "to find your wolf if it's possible, to find Logan if...if you think there's a chance that-"

"There's not." J admitted bitterly, "I'm sure he's dead. I can feel it. Sometimes I-" She paused, deciding whether to admit it or not, "sometimes I feel like I can sense him. Like he's here. I did it the other day when we went to see the rogue attack at Blazer pack. And earlier, when I was laying here, I could have sworn I smelt his scent. It makes me wonder, wonder how long he was actually there watching me in the mountains and how much of it was just me hoping he was."

They nodded, but no one spoke, letting her speak, if she wanted to. No pressure, just a listening ear. J's heart warmed. "But thank you, all of you. I know, I know I left and it was weird and I didn't speak to you for so long, but, you're my family. All of you. And-And I love you all." Eyes shone with tears, for a heartbeat there was no noise and J felt more vulnerable than she ever had before.

"Christ, J. What happened to you in the mountains? When did you get so soft?!" Saf burst out, sending them all into fits of giggles, as they laughed through the awkwardness, through the pain, through the healing.

*

They'd chatted for hours as the day drew to an end. They talked about their last two years, their plans, their trials and successes. Hearing Cassidy talk about Uma brought a warmth to J's heart. Hearing Leah talk about the Medical Centre and her plans, reminded J of how talented she really was.