Challenge

J tensed, hands curling, and span around to face the alpha from earlier. "Dexter." she spat as she folded her arms across her chest and tilted her head. Rayna flanked her, and to her surprise Lorna appeared on her other side.

Dexter gave a wide smile full of teeth as he studied J. "I don't know why your pack haven't put you down yet. You're the nearest thing to rabid I've ever seen. How do we know you aren't the rogue?" Dexter drawled.

J blinked, he had no idea she didn't have her wolf. He thought she was 'rabid'? Memories of challenges from Alphas after Caine's pack tumbled through J's mind. They'd called her rabid. Told her she was on the brink of going rogue. They'd died for their trouble. The memories sent anger rumbling through her veins.

J didn't respond to him, so he continued, "as I see it, you're the one who seems to summon these rogues. If we get rid of you then..." Rayna growled, as did Lorna, but J remained silent and kept watching him.

She nearly smiled at the flicker of insecurity in his eyes as he adjusted his stance. His pack were flanking him and whilst they had been making noisy sounds of encouragement, they were beginning to fall as silent as J was.

It was amazing, J thought, how uncomfortable people were with silence. J loved silence.

"All of you she-bitches at Rootbridge, you caused this. Jake should have learnt from his father, now there was an alpha you would stand by. Even, oh man, what was his name? You know, the kid's dad, the one that they called the Warlord?" He looked around his pack for answers, a few smiling with evil glee.

J's blood was boiling. She knew exactly who he meant. Alpha Harrison, The Warlord, her father. The monster.

Dexter's gaze slid back to J as someone muttered a name to him, "that's right, Harrison. Now, there was an alpha who knew how to lead. How to keep his women in line."

J had barely heard the end of his sentence. His voice still carrying across the short distance between them. She didn't wait to see if he had more of a point to make, didn't even wait to see if he had any final thoughts he'd like to share with the group.

Instead, in the blink of an eye, ignoring the protest of her muscles and bones, J reached down, gripped the blade she kept strapped to her shin, pulled it up and threw it. The silver blade shone from the sun overhead as it arched through the sky before it thudded into the middle of Dexter's forehead. He went straight down.

What followed was a moment of pure confusion and shock. Even Rayna seemed speechless as she froze next to J. Dexter's pack skittered back, but then paused, all watching the blank eyes of their alpha – the blade quivering in his head.

J stepped forwards and casually bent down, yanking the blade from his skin. She stood up, wiped the blade on her leg and then gripped it in her left hand. She lowered her stance, preparing herself for a fight, "anyone else want to do some reminiscing?" She practically growled, a voice in the back of her head telling her that she should at least try to pretend she still had her wolf. If they realised she was human, well....it wouldn't end well for her.

As the world caught up with them, Dexter's pack began to growl as one, advancing on J, ready to avenge their alpha, but to J's surprise Lorna stepped forwards. "Stop. No more bloodshed. I am sorry for your alpha, I am, but he did threaten the Rootbridge pack multiple times. Who is the beta?"

A growling man stepped forwards, his eyes not leaving J. J smiled at him, a big, broad smile, one sure to show off all of her teeth. The smile of a wolf. The man's anger faltered, but hate twisted in his eyes. He didn't want to fight J, but wanted to kill her.

"I am," he half-growled as he reluctantly dragged his gaze from J to Lorna.

"Good. You will challenge J for alpha position and she will concede."

J blanched, she would what? Ok, sure, she didn't want to be their alpha, and equally she was tired and didn't want to have to kill the entire pack, but to concede a fight? Really?!

J waited – waited for the bone-deep indignation, anger and refusal, but when it didn't come she realised that her wolf wouldn't have wanted to back down, but the human side? Oh god, yeh J wanted to back down. She didn't want to have to fight him.

Pretending to be pissed off, J gave an angry shrug. "Whatever." She spat, giving the Beta one last look of hatred to really sell it.

"I'm sorry, but I will not have another war on this territory. So, you will concede, you don't have a choice in this matter." J met Lorna's gaze briefly and gave her a small nod, part in understanding and part in thanks. The woman knew what she was doing.

J looked back to the Beta, who was smirking at J, believing he'd won. If anything, J had probably done him a favour. "Fine, I accept this deal." He stated, puffing out his chest.

Though, by the looks of anger on some of his pack's faces, they weren't as happy about it as he was. They'd wanted a fight, wanted their new alpha to prove his wolf.

"I, Alec, Beta of the Rivermoon pack, challenge you, J, Alpha of the Rivermoon pack."

J's lip curled at the idea of being their alpha. Been there, done that, hated it. J drew in a deep breath and rose to her full height, "I, J, Alpha of the Rivermoon pack, concede the challenge and step down as Alpha." Briefly, she wished that one of Caine's wovles had done this for her all those years ago. She knew though, that all of the powerful wolves had been killed in the fight between their packs and all that was left were the scraps. She'd been their only option at the time - but now...now things were different.

"I accept." Alec announced and then dropped his head back and howled.