9- The Pact

I couldn't believe I had just said that out loud.

I could feel Joe's eyes on me.

I waited for what felt like forever for him to respond.

"Oh my god, me too."

I got up to refill my drink but continued our conversation. "I mean, sometimes you just need it- you know? Like scratching an itch. I just wish you could get it without all the complicated, messy emotional shit that goes along with it".

"Like playing a game. Like playing tennis. Just turn up, get on with your own shit, and leave. No guilt. No bloody emotions."

"Exactly."

I turned my back on Joe to fill up my glass with what was left of our second bottle of wine. We'd probably be feeling the effects of this in the morning.

"Hey... maybe we should... play tennis."

I almost dropped my glass. "What? How drunk are you?!"

"Hear me out." Joe was walking towards me now. My heartbeat was thundering in my ears. Did he actually say what I thought he said? Did I miss some signal somewhere that he wanted us to be more than friends?

"We have a really good thing going. I... I just think it could take the weirdness out of it. No guilt, right?"

I put my glass down on the side. "I thought you realised I don't like you like that. You're my friend, you could be one of my best friends, actually, but that's all."

"I don't like you like that either." Joe answered. "I don't even know if I find you attractive."

I blinked at him. "Really? Well that's just... "

"OK, I'm kidding, but I don't have all the emotional stuff. I think it could be a good thing- train all day, burn off the tension at night. Neither of us have really got time to date. Why don't we scratch the itch together until we do? If we both agree we don't want anything more, there won't be any emotions to complicate things."

"So you do find me attractive?" I asked, teasing him a little now. "Aside from my awesome personality. Strictly physical. Tell me what you thought the first time we met."

"I liked your eyes" Joe said, quietly. "I don't think I've ever seen such big beautiful eyes. And... and your butt. It's incredible."

"Your neck", I volunteered. "It's long. That's sexy."

"Your legs"

"Hair"

"Smile"

"Lips"

"Boobs"

We both paused, looking at one another.

"We would need some rules." I finally broke the silence.

Joe's face told me that he really hadn't expected me to agree with him.

"Unless you're backing out already?" I asked. Joe shook his head and cleared his throat.

"No... not right now. We can always try. If it doesn't work, we'll still be friends. Right?"

"Right."

Joe took my hand in his. "Look at me."

I looked into his eyes, trying not to blink.

"No relationship. No emotions. Just sex."

"And you swear you don't want anything more from me?"

"Nope. Nothing more. Whatever happens, we stay friends."

"Swear?"

"Swear."

"OK. So... bedroom?" I asked, not quite believing what I was asking.

Joe nodded and led me upstairs.

///

"My nipples are sensitive. I don't like dirty talk. And if I'd known this was going to happen, I would have shaved my legs this morning" Dianne explained as she pulled off her jeans.

"My chin is ticklish, I sneeze sometimes after I come and if I'd known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have shaved my legs this morning."

Dianne looked down at Joe's legs. "Just kidding" he said with a smile. "Can't bloody grow hair anywhere else, so where it does grow, I try to keep it. Stops me looking 12."

Joe stopped talking as Dianne turned to face him. Her bra was now on the floor and she stood in front of him completely naked.

Gulping, Joe nodded. "OK, that should work". He took a breath and dropped his underwear to the floor.

Dianne looked him up and down. "Should be fine."

Joe crawled back onto the bed and pulled Dianne on top of him.

"We're not having a no kissing rule, right? It's not Pretty Woman." Dianne asked.

Joe shook his head. "No, I want you to kiss me. I mean... it's not like it's a separate thing. And I like it. It turns me on."

"Me too."

Dianne straddled him and pressed her lips to his. Opening his mouth slightly, he deepened the kiss.

She pulled away. "Are you sure about this?" Her hand was hovering over his thighs, not quite touching his skin.

Joe shrugged. "I mean, I don't know. Are you sure?"

Diane shrugged. "OK. We do this once. If it's weird, we never do it again, but we promise to stay friends. Deal?"

Joe nodded. "Deal."

Dianne leaned back down and pressed her lips to his neck, finally letting her hand stroke over his thigh and up between his legs.

Joe groaned as she finally made contact where he needed it most. "This definitely isn't what I had planned for my Tuesday evening."