12- Thatching

"So, what's your hometown like?"

Joe settled into his train seat and looked across at Dianne.

"Green" he said with a smirk. "Very green."

They had been learning their new routine for two days, and now were on a train back to Wiltshire to film a segment with Joe's family. Joe knew that Dianne had been worried about the amount of training time they could lose out on by travelling for most of the day, and so the team had offered to pay for a hotel for the night. Of course, they had paid for separate rooms.

Dianne had smirked at Joe across the room when she had read the email they had both been sent.

"The camera crew are going back straight after filming. They've given us a space in the hotel gym to practice for the night. And two rooms."

Joe smiled. "Excellent. So I don't have to put up with your starfishing."

"Listen", Dianne had replied, "it's not my fault. I'm a single lady; I'm reclaiming my space. Anyway, you can't talk. You kick in your sleep."

"That's your fault" Joe laughed at Dianne's mock-hurt expression. "You're the one who told me that I should practice the routine in my head!"

"We'd finished the routine, though, so don't go using that excuse. You're just trying to attack me in my sleep."

Joe smirked. "Well, maybe you deserve it. Maybe it makes up for the torture you put me though every day in the studio."

The train journey down to Chippenham was a long one, and Joe quickly found himself falling asleep. As his eyes fluttered closed, he felt Dianne lean into him. He let his head drop onto her shoulder and breathed in the scent of her skin. She was warm, comfortable, and familiar. Joe didn't wake until Dianne prodded him as the train pulled into the station.

///

"I have no idea how you used to do this every day."

Joe and I had arrived at the site for our VT and were greeted by Joe's uncle. I had spent the train journey with a sleeping Joe attached to my side. I didn't want to wake him, so I hadn't moved. All of my stuff, apart from my phone, was in my bag under the seat. So I had distracted myself by learning more about roof thatching. It's not a common thing in Australia, and I was fascinated by the whole process.

"Would you like to have a go?"

I froze.

"I'm not great with heights," I muttered. That was a complete understatement. I was terrified of heights.

"I'll protect you." Joe had been standing with his arm around my shoulder as we had watched everyone working. "Honestly, just give it a go. I'll be with you the whole time."

I rolled my eyes but followed him as we walked towards the ladder.

I did as much as I could. I was genuinely proud of myself, and I had a new-found respect for Joe. He spoke really gently to me, and he didn't push my boundaries. I felt safe with him.

"Alright? What the bloody hell you doing up there?" A loud voice called from beside the house.

I had made my way down the ladder and back onto solid ground when a blue van had pulled up at the side of the road. A grey-haired man leaned out the side of the window. I knew immediately who he was.

"Alright, Dad?" Joe shouted, as he quickly threw himself down the final ladder.

Joe grabbed my hand and walked me over to the van. His dad turned off the engine and got out.

"And you must be Dianne" he said, his accent more noticeable than Joe's. He shook my hand, a familiar glint in his eye. "I hope my lad's not making too much of a tit of himself. You did well to make him move like that on Saturday night. Usually can't even put one foot in front of the other... Isn't that right, twinkle toes?'

Joe and his dad clearly had some great banter. Their jokes came thick and fast and I struggled to keep up- especially with the accent.

After a few minutes, Joe's dad checked his watch and said his goodbyes.

"See you later, Dad." I laughed as Joe waved at the slowly disappearing van.

"What?" he turned to face me.

"We've been here three hours, and you've turned back into a farmer!"

His accent was suddenly so much more noticeable. I knew mine did the same thing when I went back to Australia- it was funny to see it in action.

"Come on," he said- putting on an even thicker accent now, "I'll show you what Wiltshire life is really like."

///

"So, what's your hometown like?"

After a day of filming, thatching and a quick tour of Joe's childhood village, the two of them had run their new routine as many times as they could in the village hall. It wasn't an ideal space, but they had tried their best.

A taxi had arrived to bring them to Bath later on that evening, and Joe had booked a table at one of his favourite restaurants on the way.

Dianne took a sip from her drink. "Hot. Most of the time, anyway. Have you ever been to Western Australia?"

Joe shook his head. "I don't think so."

"Well, it's basically all bush. Until you get to the coast. I grew up near Perth- my actual town is pretty new. We don't have any old buildings like the ones you have here. They're kind of still building in the suburbs and stuff. Every time I go back, there's a few extra streets. It's a nice place- the beach is obviously the best part."

"I always said I'd like to have a house out there one day" Joe explained. "Do summer in the UK and then summer in Australia."

"Oh, that would be amazing."

The conversation flowed as they finished their meals and drinks. When the bill came, Joe passed over his card to the waitress.

"Joe, you need to let me pay my way. We agreed this isn't a date. Let me pay for my own meal."

Joe shook his head. "I want to treat you. You're putting so much effort in to helping me. It's not about chivalry or anything like that."

Dianne pouted. "Fine, but I'm getting lunch tomorrow. And maybe the next day."

"Deal."