20- Lava

"So, did you, uh... third date?"

Joe shook his head. "No. Pip was away all weekend. I'm going to try and see her this week, but obviously I want to focus on this more than anything."

Dianne nodded. "Blackpool jitters?"

"Definitely. It's all I can think about. I just want to get there, you know? This is the only thing standing in my way. Our way."

"Well," Dianne said, smiling, "we'd better crack on, then."

Dianne walked to the centre of the floor as the music began and went over the steps for their newest routine. Over the last few days her mind had still been full of the negative thoughts she had been carrying around subconsciously for years. Thoughts that had been slowly edging towards the front of her mind. 

Watching Joe find someone who made him happy had made her realise just how alone she felt. It had been hard to pick up the pieces and get on. But, she had a job to do. Focusing on dance would get her through this, just as it had got her through so many hard times before.

This was their final week before Blackpool. The final hurdle before the next big milestone of the competition. Dianne knew from what Joe had said that he was desperate to get there, mainly for his nan. She knew she wouldn't be able to bear it if this was the week they bowed out; she had to invest everything into making sure Joe was up to scratch for Saturday night. 

///

The Samba was clearly not Joe's dance. The bouncy rhythm and fluid movements didn't suit him, and he looked awkward. By Wednesday, they had only just begun to get through the whole routine. After three days of failure and no light at the end of the tunnel, Dianne was irritated. Beyond irritated.

"If you put that foot wrong one more time, I'm leaving."

She wasn't joking. She was seeing red. Joe had been trying his hardest, she knew that, but the simple steps were the ones he kept messing up.

"Again. Come on."

The music began again, but before they'd even joined hands Dianne walked off.

"Joe, you're dad dancing again. Get your back straight. Get your shoulders down. Get a grip."

Joe sighed and took his starting position. Dianne's tone was vicious. He was worried about her.

The music began, and he pulled his shoulders back, trying not to look at his feet. Dianne reached around his neck, holding eye contact with him as they moved. Travelling across the floor, Joe tried to focus on keeping his posture and timing and everything else. Dianne had been cruel, her words biting. If she was trying to be sarcastic, she had missed the mark.

He continued to move with her, trying to get his steps in the right place. Moving his foot forward ready to turn, he clipped the front of her shoe.

"For FUCK'S SAKE!"

Dianne walked off groaning loudly, her back slamming against the wall as she dropped to the floor, head in her hands.

Joe stood in the opposite corner, completely unsure of what to do. The pressure was on both of them this week. His nose had been bleeding on and off for two days, and he was sure it was because of the stress of this routine.

Joe looked back over at Dianne when he heard a quiet sob.

"Di. Di are you crying?"

"Hey, it's alright. I'm sorry." Joe walked across the room, sitting down next to the red-headed dancer and pulling her into his arms. Rubbing his hand over her back, he felt her shudder as she took shallow, shaky breaths.