Thirteen: Aaron

I opened the door in front of me before yelling, "Mom!" I quickly shut the door behind me before taking my shoes off. I could hear footsteps coming down the steps, before I watched my mom walk into the room. Her eyes lit up when she saw me before coming over to wrap her arms around my waist.

"Hi honey. Want something to eat?"

"I'm not really hungry."

Her eyes looked me up and down before she started to pull me into the kitchen. "You could use a snack."

I simply rolled my eyes with a smile as she had me sit down onto a bar stool. "How have you been?"

She shrugged while getting a container out of the fridge. "I've been okay."

"Are you sure you're not mad at me?"

After she placed the container down she put her hands onto her hips as she raised an eyebrow. "Do I have any reason to be mad at you?"

"Well its just, I wasn't sure how you were going to react when we told you we were getting married so soon."

I watched her open the container and grab what looked like chicken out as she preheated the oven. "Why would that be an issue?"

"I just didn't want you to think that we were rushing things. I mean I know we got it because someone cancelled their wedding but-"

"Aaron." She was simply staring at me with that mom look I knew so well. "Have you been with Perry for less than a week?"

"No."

"Did you two elope?"

"No."

"Do you love him?"

"More than anything."

She gave me a flat look while starting to cut the chicken up. "Then I have absolutely no reason to be mad at you. You two have been through it all together and I really admire your relationship."

"Thank you mom."

"Perry has always been like another son to me. I didn't need an official piece of paper to make me feel like that. It will be the fastest month of your life and the next thing you know, you guys are going to be married."

I smiled while looking down at my hands. "I know, I really can't wait. This has definitely been a long time coming." As I looked back up at her I watched the way she was silently cutting the chicken before grabbing something else from the fridge. "Are you sure you're okay mom?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"I'm just worried that you're all alone here."

She put her knife down before giving me another look. "I am but you know, it's okay. I absolutely loved having this house full of my kids and when your father was still here, he livened the place up too. But I wanted you guys to go out and explore and enjoy the world. I'm so happy that you and your brother have done just that."

"I just don't want you to be lonely."

She smiled before saying, "I'm not."

"Are you sure?"

"Knock knock!" Perry's loud voice was suddenly filling the room as he jogged into the kitchen. "Hey!" He said as he wrapped his arms around her in a hug before walking over to me. He stood next to me, his arms leaning on my shoulder before he kissed my cheek. "Sorry I'm late," he whispered.

"Everything okay?" I asked while pulling him into my side.

He shrugged before saying, "Sure." Before I could ask him about it his cheerful self was back as he asked, "How are you Juliet?"