Fourteen: Hugo

I kept nervously glancing around the small room, feeling incredibly nervous. Cameron was sitting across from me in a comfortable look chair, but he looked anything but comfortable. He kept twiddling his thumbs, those brown eyes hidden beneath his curls. My foot started nervously tapping the hardwood floor as my hands kept running through my hair.

Talking to a physiatrist was definitely a first for me, I had never thought about going to one before. And what was going to happen if I said something stupid or wrong? Would this guy think I was an idiot? Or even worse, what if Cam thought I was stupid? My eyes glanced over at him to see him smile at a woman who sat down next to him. One of the main reasons I was nervous about coming to talk to this guy was because I was nervous about what Cam thought of me. Things had definitely been off for awhile between us, and I really didn't know why.

"Cameron and Hugo?" I watched as a man holding a clipboard was smiling at us. Well, I guess I was about to find out. Hopefully.

I followed Cam and the man into a room where Cam sat down in a chair opposite of me. I nervously sat down on a loveseat as the man shut the door before sitting down and smiling between us.

"Good morning, I'm Doctor Yates but you can call me Tom. I'd like to thank you both for coming today. Now, can you tell me a little about yourselves and your relationship? Hugo, how about you start?"

"Oh uhm sure." I ran my sweaty hands on my jeans before looking over at Cam. "Cameron and I went to the same high school together, but we were never really in the same social group. When we were seniors, we got paired up in our Sex Ed class and we had to raise a baby together. I thought the whole thing was stupid and really wasn't the best partner. It didn't help that I dented the baby a little," I said while giving a little laugh as I looked at the ground. "We got really close during that time and I realized I was addicted to him. I had never felt that way about anyone before, and I knew he was a keeper. We went through some things that brought us even closer until we went off to college. We had a little break in college but we found our way back to each other and haven't looked back. We've been married for a few years now and we just adopted a little baby boy."

Tom nodded as he glanced between the two of us. "That sounds like a lovely love story."

"He's being modest," Cam suddenly said while digging his fingers into his knees.

"Can you elaborate on that Cameron?" Tom asked.

Cam was then frowning as he stared at the floor. "Hugo got shot in high school because of my birth mother. We weren't even dating at that time and he literally took a bullet for me. Then I of course had to be the one to think that he didn't want to be with me, when he almost died for me. I pushed him away because I was frustrated, like I always do. Then in college I broke up with him." He hid his face even more as he took a deep breath. "Hugo was the first guy I'd ever been with. I met someone who I thought was nice and felt bad for having those feelings when I was already with someone. I guess I was just afraid of not knowing what else was out there. Even before that I thought he was cheating on me with his roommate, who ended up marrying my sister. I judged things too quickly like I always do. The only reason we've ever had problems in our relationship is because of me."

Sitting there stunned, I quickly shot out of my seat and kneeled in front of him. "You think all of that is your fault?"

Those brown eyes were finally looking up at me as he frowned. "Even you can't deny it."

"I have never thought that and I never will," I said while resting my hands onto his shaking hands.

He shook his head as tears were filling his eyes. "I'm even the reason we're here."