Chapter Two

Chapter Two
I threw my braid over my shoulder and played with the ends nervously. I don't know what to say to Cameron, or how back to normal health he is going to be.

Is he going to be mad at me? Is he going to blame me for the attack? I shuddered at the thought.

Stop it, Freya. Thinking like that isn't helping anything. I already had a breakdown in the shower. I can't afford to have one in front of Rowan, and all the other people around. Though, there really aren't any other people. In the castle, at least.

We exited the castle and walked through a winding path through a small woods before coming upon an entire town. It's much larger than the village in the fae realm, and much more modern. Their town resembles more of a human one, with different sized houses and shops. There is even a McDonalds.

There are a few people out and about, but they don't acknowledge us much. They seem to all be on a mission to get where they need to go. Rowan led us down the street to an average sized building, with a medical logo on the front.

"This is our infirmary for guests. We have more of an actual hospital for our own people, and for guests in need of more terminal care," Rowan stated offhandedly while leading us to the building.

I noticed that he hasn't talked in my head since we got here. He's much more comfortable and relaxed here than he was there. Which would make sense, since this is his home. But this place seems to harvest many bad people. You would think, if it was as bad as everyone says, that he'd be more cautious here than there.

Rowan led us through the doors, to the front desk where an older lady sat. She beamed at Rowan the moment he walked through the door. "What can I do for you two?"

"We are here to see the young fae who was admitted here three days ago," Rowan informed her with a warm smile.

The woman's mouth dropped into a small 'o' as realization dawned on her. She turned her wide eyes to me. "Princess! It is a pleasure to have you here. Your guard is right down the hall, room A17."

"Thank you," I informed her, smiling warmly. She grabbed a pen and wrote the room number down on a little card with a clip on it, before handing it to me. I thanked her again and clipped it to my shirt. This is just like a human hospital.

We walked away without getting a visitor pass for Rowan. I guess he is to good for visitor passes. We turned right at the first hallway, and came upon the room almost immediately. I took a deep breath before slowly entering the room labeled A17.

As soon as I walked in, my heart dropped. Cameron's skin is ashen, his eyes covered in dark bags. He is shirtless, revealing the large white gauze covering the majority of his torso. He looks almost worse than when I left him.

"Is he not healing," I questioned, stepping closer to Cameron.

Rowan sighed. "He was in the beginning. But then the second day, the wound reopened. It's like the wound is healing itself, and then backtracking. The situation isn't dire, but it is unusual. He's been sleeping the majority of the time. Every waking moment he asks for you."

My heart clenched. How could he not be getting better? Could this be because I healed him? Could I have somehow actually made things worse?

"I healed him when it first happened. Could that be why this is happening?"

Rowan tilted his head for a moment before shaking his head. "No, I don't think so. It's more likely that the vampire who attacked him put venom on their claws."

That doesn't sound good. "So what does that mean for Cameron?"

My hand started to shake at the prospect of something happening. I've only known him for six months, but he's still the best friend I've ever had. Rowan's eyes softened at the sight.