Chapter Six

Chapter Six
"You're going to the fights!"

I glanced up from the book I was reading to look at Rowan. "I'm not just going. I'm participating."

Rowan barked out a laugh and shook his head. "Freya, are you insane?"

I sighed and placed a bookmark in the book before closing it and setting it on the bed. I sat up from my sprawled out position, making Bruce open an eye to see what I was doing. I gave him a reassuring smile before facing Rowan.

"What better way to get to know my people than joining in on their extracurricular activities?"

"Freya. These aren't just normal people. They are demons who have worked a long week and want to let out some of their pent up anger. This isn't the fae realm. These people aren't afraid to hit a girl," Rowan warned me, crossing his arms over his chest.

I shrugged. "I'm not scared."

Rowan threw his arms up in exasperation. "You should be!"

I shrugged and walked to my vanity, grabbing a hair tie. I threw my hair up into a ponytail and then turned back to Rowan. "Why are you so worried?"

Rowan dropped his arms and glared at me. "You are my responsibility while you are here. You can't just go run off and put yourself in every dangerous situation that you can think of."

"Actually," I trailed off, before smirking at him. "I can."

Rowan groaned. "What are you, Bella Swan?"

I barked out a laugh. "I'm not doing these things to try and get your attention. I just want to learn who my people are."

Rowan sighed at the sincerity in my voice. "It is a smart plan. But you're going to need some training first."

I raised my eyebrows. "It's tonight."

Rowan shrugged. "Then I guess we have a lot of work to do."

Great.

*****

Rowan and I stood in the middle of some kind of wrestling ring, inside a workout room. The room is mostly empty, except for a guy at a punching bag and a girl on a treadmill. As I was analyzing the room, Rowan swung his leg out and knocked me to the ground.

I landed on my butt with an oomph, gasping as the wind got knocked out of me. "What the hell was that for?"

"Never let your guard down when in the ring. You never know when or how someone is going to strike," Rowan informed me, his voice strictly business.

Oh, so that's how this is going to go down. I groaned and picked myself off the ground. Before I could even blink, Rowan had shoved me. I went flying into the rope of the ring, my body flinging forward on impact. I gritted my teeth to stop myself from using my powers to fling him across the room.

"These people are going to fight dirty. Don't expect them to follow traditional fighting rules. They will push you, and pull your hair. There are no rules, Freya."

I walked forward, and at the last minute swung my leg out. Instead of falling over, he suspected the move and caught my leg. He looked me in the eye for a moment before twisting my leg, making me fall flat on my back. I tried not to let the impact affect me as I jumped back up, ready to fight again.

I aimed a punch at his stomach, but he swerved out of the way. "Is that all you got?"

I narrowed my eyes at him and aimed a swift kick to his shin. This time, he didn't see it coming. He grimaced, before giving me an approving look. "Better."